• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal take

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bought both ... first the Volcano - then with the AX-7. Got 2-3º lower temps. Then I went to water cooling and moved the AX-7 to my wife's computer.

It is cheaper and you can put a low cfm (say 30-40) and have nice silent system. But since you are overclocking, use that lovely AS3 (artic silver) and try to get a good CFM fan without the high DBA.

I actually like TT's fan, after I cut off the temperature control sensor to allow it to run full speed, ( http://www.thermaltake.com/products/dcfan/a1214.htm ) that came with my Volcano - just the heatsink is not as good as the AX-7 :-}

looking for an overclocking heatsink? well first of all what is your budget? if you have alot of money to spend i would go with a Thermalright SLK800 and a nice Tornado fan :D. That should defenately give you some overclocking abilities.

good luck

Out of the Volcano 7+ and volcano 9, the 7+ is slightly better in performance. However, the downside to this sink is the single lug clip that holds the all copper chunk of metal. THere is a 3 lug clip version available for the 7+ but from what I've heard, it has many problems eg uneven pressure causing cracking of the die rendering the cpu useless.

The Thermalright ax-7 is not much more expensive than the volcano 7+ but is significantly better in performance. It doesnt come with a fan so I recommend the Thermaltake SmartFan II to go with it. The smarfan two has several features which I won't list here, but the most impressive feature is the rheostat provided for you to manually control the speed of the fan.

Next up is the best Socket A heatsink currently available, the Thermalright SLK800. Being a lot more expensive than the previously mentioned sinks, it is also a lot better in performance. Since it also doesn't come with a fan, the smartfan II is again a good choise to go with it.

Hope this helps

I wonder how much better the slk800 really is than the ax-7. The SLK800 was reviewed with a 84cfm fan and the ax-7 was reviewed with a 68 cfm. I'm sure that accounts for a significant amount of the 5 c/w advantage OC.com's die test gave it.

Salmon Dream said:
i am looking for hsf's for my new meachine. athlon XP 1600+. will be over clocked. looking at tt volcano 7 and volcano 9.:confused: anybody have any advice?

Use the Vulcano9 cus it cool better. Also the probe on the vulcano7 isn't placed well: it adjust the fanspeed to the CASEtemp.

Lithan said:
I wonder how much better the slk800 really is than the ax-7. The SLK800 was reviewed with a 84cfm fan and the ax-7 was reviewed with a 68 cfm. I'm sure that accounts for a significant amount of the 5 c/w advantage OC.com's die test gave it.

You may find OCUK has what you are looking for. A good review from an online vendour.

Wow. Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Amazing that the 60mm focusflow delta on an SLK800 beat the 80mm focusflow delta on an SLK800... must be related to the 80mm's hanging off the heatsink and effectively wasting a large portion of its airflow primarily to cool the motherboard a little.

Lithan said:
Wow. Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Amazing that the 60mm focusflow delta on an SLK800 beat the 80mm focusflow delta on an SLK800... must be related to the 80mm's hanging off the heatsink and effectively wasting a large portion of its airflow primarily to cool the motherboard a little.

Since the 60mm Focused Delta appears twice, I assume the top result belongs to the 80mm Focused Delta and it's only a typo. ;)

Back