• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My voltage woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Younglin

I recently installed a new 16 gb ( 2 x 8) kit because I kept maxing out my 8 gigs. But when I tried gaming I noticed stuttering. it will look absolutely beautiful and then the frame rate will drop to nothing. This did not happen with my previous kit. I should mention that it is a 1600 mhz kit and I have it running at 1866. I believe this is a voltage issue ( lack of). I think this because boosting the voltage seemed to help but not eliminate the problem. It is at 1.5 volts right now and i have no idea where I should be putting it. I believe 1.5 is stock, but my mobo had it lower.

Specs;
Asus crosshair formula 5,
AMD 8150 @ 4.6 Ghz
2x8 Gb Crosshair doiminator platinum kit.
2 x AMD 6870's

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The first thing to do is boot to Memtest86+ installed to a thumb drive, and check the RAM for stability at the higher frequency. Assuming the rated timings and voltage at DDR3-1600 are 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V, you'll probably need to either loosen the timings or increase the voltage to run the modules stably at DDR3-1866.

Solved.

Turns out it was not my ram. I simply assumed it was because the issue started right after I installed the new dimms. While poking through the bios to find a solution I noticed that my main gpu was running at 2.0x1. After about an hour of failure and a few google searches I reseated my graphics card and bam, problem solved.

Back