• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canon 60D VS Canon 6D first impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_n_Beyond

I'll be honest, for DSLRs I've never shot anything but a crop sensor before today. Full sensors have always appealed to me for various reasons, but I don't see one in the budget anytime soon. That said, I finally had a chance to try them side by side today. My camera, a 60D with a crop sensor, and the Instigator's (she doesn't agree with the name, but it's true) 6D full sensor. Nothing here is scientific. It was a walk around the lake, stopping here and there to set up a tripod, shoot one camera, change lenses and then shoot the same pic with the other. Images were shot in RAW, any postprocessing was synced between the photos. Lens used was a EF 50mm f/1.4 prime, pics shot in Aperature Priority (EV-.7) mode using pattern autofocus.

In these first 2 photos, I think the 6D did a better job at metering and setting the shutter speed.

60D, f/8, ISO 100 1/320 sec
IMG_0988.JPG

6D, f/8, ISO 100 1/500 sec
IMG_0987.JPG

In these next 2 photos, I did note that the 6D seemed to hunt for focus more than my 60D did. There was a slight breeze, and a little motion of the flowers.
60D, f/2.8, ISO 100 1/2500 sec
IMG_0997.JPG

6D, f/2.8, ISO 100 1/2500 sec
IMG_0996.JPG

Hokie had mentioned to me that he had heard that DOF is paper thin in full sensor cameras, so I figured I'd do a little test. I stopped at a bush with some berries on it, snapped photos at various f-stops with my 60D, then switched cameras. It then hit me that there may be a flaw in my test...

60D, f/1.4, ISO 100 1/3200 sec
IMG_0998.JPG

6D, f/1.4, ISO 100 1/4000 sec
IMG_1007.JPG

I didn't think it quite fair with the effective focal ranges being different, so I thought about how to do a more apples to apples comparison on the way home.

There's a lot of crop there o_O

I like the full sensor much better, personally.
I'll keep that in mind if I look for a camera that isn't point and shoot.

What I came up with on the way home, was to switch to a 24-105 f/4L lens (the kit lens for the 6D), use a 70mm focal length for the 60D and a 105 focal length for the 6D. That would make the effective focal lengths the same. Not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but here are the abbreviated results.

60D f/4
60D f4.JPG

6D f/4
6D f4.JPG

60D f/8
60D f8.JPG

6D f/8
6D f8.JPG

Last edited:
60D f/13
60D f13.JPG

6D f/13
6D f13.JPG

To be honest, for this lens I don't think there's enough of a difference to get excited about. Maybe there would be more difference with a 2.8?

I'm going to put my camera up and just play with the 6D and the 24-105 L lens for now. No real testing of any sorts, unless someone has something specific they'd like to know. I only have today and tomorrow here, so my time is kind of limited. I already see pros and cons to both, some quite apparent, and I'm not sure right now if I'd choose one over the other.

I had heard bokeh for the 24-105L is quite different than what I'm used to. It's.... more angular? Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen it quite like this before. This would be a pretty unusual shot for me to take, with tree branches quite a ways behind the subject.

6D, EF 24-104 (f/4)L @ 105, ISO 100, f/4, 1/2500sec
IMG_1061.JPG

A few of things ended up in the front of my mind at the end of the day yesterday. Shutter noise on the 6D is much quieter than my 60D (which I've seen described more than once as "clunky", and it really is). Colors out of the 6D seem richer to me in most cases, and dynamic range a little better. Enough so that my "standard" lightroom preset ends up being a little over the top for my taste. Looking through the larger viewfinder on the 6D is like night and day. As a side note, because I am trying to keep this more about the bodies than lenses, L glass is HEAVY.

A couple shots of the critters last evening.....

6D, EF 24-104 (f/4)L @ 105, ISO 400, f/11, 1/100sec
IMG_1055.JPG

6D, EF 24-104 (f/4)L @ 105, ISO 2500, f/11, 1/125sec
IMG_1057.JPG

Insane crop of the last image
IMG_1057-2.JPG

I'm a bit under the weather today, my last day to play around with the 6D on this trip. I tried to get out a bit this morning, but didn't make it very far, so I guess I'll wrap this up. No more pics, just my honest opinions and feelings about this camera.

First off, I was expecting the full fame 6D to be larger and heavier. As it turns out, the body is actually very slightly smaller than the 60D, but it does weigh about 15 grams or so more. With comparable lens attached, you don't notice the difference. Somehow still, the 6D does feel a little more solid. Construction wise, if I see one drawback to the 6D, it would be the fact that it doesn't have an articulating LCD. I really like the fact that I can flip the screen around on my 60D to protect it from getting smashed against a rock or something. I'm not careless, but I use my equipment. I would imagine hitting a camera against a rock hard enough to break the glass would damage more than just the glass, but it makes me feel better anyway.

Bringing the viewfinder up to the eye, the increased size is very welcome. I'm getting old, I had to get glasses a couple weeks ago, I just don't see as well as I used to. Aside from the increased size, it just looks brighter and clearer. I did notice that I had a harder time seeing the focus points on the focus screen, but that's a minor quibble. Speaking of focus, The 6D does a superb job. I usually count on having some random out of focus shots, and always take more than one. During the entire day yesterday, and shots here and there over the weekend, I think I ended up with 2. I did note some extra hunting a few times at close range while in pattern mode, but switching to select mode took care of it.

Battery life of both cameras is pretty comparable. I think the Instigator and I changed batteries at pretty close to the same time on Sunday. Both of us carry spares at all times, but 2 days and around 1000 images out of a battery makes it practically unnecessary.

I will quickly mention that I did run up against the shutter speed limit of the 6D yesterday. It caps out at 1/4000 vs 1/8000 for the 60D. It's pretty darn rare for me to get to speeds that high though.

I had planned on doing some low light shooting this morning, but didn't. There's enough info out there to prove the superiority of the full sensor. I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get a chance to do some of it, because I tend to shoot very early in the morning and very late in the evening or at night. For anyone interested, know that the 6D does not have a built in flash.

I've never tested my 60D, but I did find out last weekend that the 6D is pretty darn water resistant. The instigator slipped on a rock and fell into the creek on Sunday. The camera wasn't submerged, but did get absolutely drenched. We were able to dry it off with my shirt and a rocket blower, take the battery out and lens off to check for water, reassemble and go on our way. I was actually pretty impressed.

The 6D was my first choice when I last shopped for a camera, it just wasn't in the budget. To compare a full frame to a crop sensor isn't possible. Different worlds altogether. I see reasons to buy each one. The 6D with it's full sensor is still a better choice for most of what I do, most of the time. I am forever wishing I had the ability to get wider, shooting in tight areas most of the time. On the other hand, there was one thing that drove me nuts all day yesterday.... lack of reach! Refer to the first 2 photos in this thread and note the difference. Getting the same reach on a full sensor gets very expensive very quickly. Canon's EF-S lineup of lenses do not work with full frame cameras, although the EF series does work with crop bodies.

Do I still want a 6D? Even more than I did before I actually got to use one. Would I sell my 60D to get one? No. The 6D wins in almost every area I can think of. It should, for double the price. I love the wider view, the image quality, everything about it. There are times though, when I really want the reach. That's when I'd be reaching for the 60D.

Awesome writeup there Dark!

Now stop making me want a real camera!

Excellent write-up, thank you very much!

I would love to go full frame, but the ecosystem is just completely beyond my means, even with the 6D.

Any comments about the 24-105L and using it? That lens intrigues me, even though it starts a little long for a crop body.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've never done a writeup before, it was kind of fun.

Hokie - I shot very few photos with that combination, it was on my list for today. I'm curious as well, so since you asked I'll take a short nap and see if i can walk down to the lake a little later.

Okay... the 24-105 f/4L lens.....

Here's a pic with the 24-105L, kitted with the 6D, and an EF-S 55-250, commonly kitted with crop bodies. This is just for size reference, I'm in no way comparing the two.

IMG_1128.JPG

As you can see, the lengths are quite close, but the L lens is quite a bit fatter, taking a 77mm filter versus a 58mm. The next thing you would notice when you picked them up is the L lens is HEAVY.... 670 grams versus 390.

Plenty of pics here using the L lens on the 6D, so here's a few with the L lens on my 60D, taken at various focal lengths. My apologies for the terrible lighting, I normally don't shoot with the sun so high in the sky.

60D, EF 24-105 (f/4)L @ 24mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/1000sec
IMG_1084.JPG

60D, EF 24-105 (f/4)L @ 65mm, ISO 100, f/4, 1/80sec
IMG_1114.JPG

Last edited:
60D, EF 24-104 (f/4)L @ 105mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/320sec
IMG_1093-2.JPG

60D, EF 24-104 (f/4)L @ 105mm, ISO 100, f/4, 1/1600sec
IMG_1109.JPG

Overall, this really isn't a bad lens for a crop body either. I thought 24mm might be a bit long to start, but as a walk around the neighborhood and shoot in the back yard lens, I didn't really have any complaints. On my quick walk this afternoon, I actually found it short at the long end. Using it last weekend in the mountains, in the woods, and in the creek... that's a little different, then the short end became a little bit of an issue.

Bokeh isn't great on this lens, in my opinion, but it's okay. Maybe it's just different than I'm used to. No lens creep at all. IS works very well, considering I'm a little shaky today. I'd like to play with this lens more, but it will have to wait for a later date. I still can't get over how heavy it is....

Back