• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG favor to ask...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now i have lowered my multi to 16.5 and raised my fsb to 206 giving me a clock of 3399 but look at my cpu score.
this is why you should learn to overclock properly.

Attachments

• 955 02.PNG
    955 02.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 38
So youre saying I could possibly get better frames by just purchasing a "newer" amd chip? How high would I have to go to get 30+ in firefights? would spending 150-200 get me there? I was thinking of scraping my amd cpu altogether and buying a new mobo and chip but If i can save some cash and stick w amd then Ill do that...

http://microcenter.com/product/3757...n_31GHz_Eight-Core_Socket_AM3_Boxed_Processor

I think I'm gonna go get this bad boy tonight, thoughts?

Don't get an 81xx

Make sure you're getting a Vishera core part-- The Piledriver parts are way better than the Bulldozer parts.

I suggest a FX-6300, this doesn't require exotic cooling to OC and will absolutely cream an old Deneb part in gaming, particularly once you get to OCing it a bit :D Also won't set you back much, and performs much better than an 8120

now i have lowered my multi to 16.5 and raised my fsb to 206 giving me a clock of 3399 but look at my cpu score.
this is why you should learn to overclock properly.

Haha, this is why I advocate FSB OC'ing, it always allows me a slightly higher OC, and always nets me a substantially higher benchmark :D

+1 anonaru.
the new 6 cores are the way to go for gaming with amd cpus without the major headaches of the 8 core heat battles at reasonable clocks.
even thubans in the 1100 flavor seem to be doing well.

The score is better just because memory and CPU-NB are running faster. :)
On Phenom II for best results memory should be on the 3:8 divider, the divider is more efficient than the 1:2. Sometimes though the stars don't align and a more optimal overclock can be had some way else. (CPU/CPU-NB/RAM mix)

I think the OP will not benefit much from a new CPU, the issue isn't a CPU bottleneck but looks like a bigger issue. 15 FPS is not because of the CPU...

The score is better just because memory and CPU-NB are running faster. :)
On Phenom II for best results memory should be on the 3:8 divider, the divider is more efficient than the 1:2. Sometimes though the stars don't align and a more optimal overclock can be had some way else. (CPU/CPU-NB/RAM mix)

I think the OP will not benefit much from a new CPU, the issue isn't a CPU bottleneck but looks like a bigger issue. 15 FPS is not because of the CPU...

I normally concur, bt Planetside 2 is an exception, like the other games I listed (On another thread I realized. Aion, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2, to an extent Skyrim at the very least). Guild Wars 2 will stagger down to 5-11 FPS on a Deneb part, but if that's the only thing you change, the minimum frame rate increases up to threefold. Same with Aion. Skyrim is more typical, and the result isn't as extreme. We also understand WHY increasing the FSB makes your system faster-- It is still a better and more stable experience than jacking your NB up to 2.6 or 2.8 with multi only and praying that isn't the source of any instability :p

I maintain that it is -mostly- but not entirely caused by an old CPU part. All you would have to do is run a Deneb at 2 GHz with Planet Side 2 then bump it up to 3.8 and record the diff. to understand :-/

What I do not understand though is that you say minimum FPS will jump up to 3-fold.
A new CPU is only going to make FPS jump 20-50% maximum...and the AMD FX CPUs are typically slower or the same than Deneb unless you are overclocking.

Even a 3770K is only ~30-40% faster than a Deneb CPU in anything and FPS simply can not jump 300%...

Of course, if its multithreaded then an 8-core FX-8x00 series will help...

Of course, if its multithreaded then an 8-core FX-8x00 series will help...

Answer your own question :attn:

It also has to do with some of the optimizations made in BD and PD-- IPC doesn't seem to be the only culprit here (Else the Thuban 6 cores would oust the PD 6 cores in every gaming test on the planet)

I know the numbers seem skewed, and I expected the same when I acquired this part. Aion, Guild Wars 2, and Planetside 2 in particular suffer absurd frame drops (Aion gets as low as 2 FPS on a Deneb part) entirely due to the CPU. When I dropped the 8350 in, that 2 fps in Aion (a la slide show) never went below 26 on the PD part. Why? Lord knows. Poor enough game code does this to you. Keep in mind my Aion example is on the HD engine, that uses some effects in particular that are fully CPU reliant

You're in the mindset of games like Skyrim and Rift, who over-exert the CPU, but aren't so poorly coded that they become unplayable on older parts. In fact, the gain in Skyrim is even less than your quoted numbers for me, something like 15-20% max

Edit: Planetside 2 isn't as extreme as Guild Wars 2 or Aion when updating your CPU-- It is still extremely noticable though

Last edited:
Answer your own question :attn:

It also has to do with some of the optimizations made in BD and PD-- IPC doesn't seem to be the only culprit here (Else the Thuban 6 cores would oust the PD 6 cores in every gaming test on the planet)

I know the numbers seem skewed, and I expected the same when I acquired this part. Aion, Guild Wars 2, and Planetside 2 in particular suffer absurd frame drops (Aion gets as low as 2 FPS on a Deneb part) entirely due to the CPU. When I dropped the 8350 in, that 2 fps in Aion (a la slide show) never went below 26 on the PD part. Why? Lord knows. Poor enough game code does this to you. Keep in mind my Aion example is on the HD engine, that uses some effects in particular that are fully CPU reliant

You're in the mindset of games like Skyrim and Rift, who over-exert the CPU, but aren't so poorly coded that they become unplayable on older parts. In fact, the gain in Skyrim is even less than your quoted numbers for me, something like 15-20% max

Edit: Planetside 2 isn't as extreme as Guild Wars 2 or Aion when updating your CPU-- It is still extremely noticable though
Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 run fantastic for me, both are pretty much maxed out and I am averaging 45fps in Guild Wars 2 and never dip below 30fps, Skyrim runs about 60fps on average, I don't know why you've seen fps issues with a Deneb cpu, but it's definelty not an issue for me and I am sure for many others as well.

Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 run fantastic for me, both are pretty much maxed out and I am averaging 45fps in Guild Wars 2 and never dip below 30fps, Skyrim runs about 60fps on average, I don't know why you've seen fps issues with a Deneb cpu, but it's definelty not an issue for me and I am sure for many others as well.

Skyrim doesn't run poorly on a Deneb, tis why I said "Not so much" multiple times. It still runs disproportionately better on Piledriver and especially Intel parts, though.

Your experience on GW2 is not typical, though. In the most demanding stretches of game play with higher settings, the CPU staggers-- Shoot, people with CPUs all the way up to the i7 920 report this issue. I've always noticed that gaming at 1080p or lower on GW2 absolutely staggered a Deneb part, and I had two computers personally, two friends, and the slew of people on this forum who have all reported CPU-caused fps drops in GW2.

I'm glad you run at 30~, but can you prove you never dip below 30 in GW2, ever? My other Deneb part (Before upgrading) was OC'd to 4.15 using FSB and multi, with a 3:8 ratio and severely OC'd NB, and GW2 dropped below 30 FPS on both my 670s alone and in SLI and my 680. I suppose shockingly (to you) this issue magically resolved itself when dropping a PD part into these rigs.

Planetside 2..and NCSoft games in general are poorly optimized and draw hard on CPUs (This isn't really up for debate, there's bukos of material supporting this).

Planetside 2..and NCSoft games in general are poorly optimized and draw hard on CPUs (This isn't really up for debate, there's bukos of material supporting this).

:cheers: i'll support it

Not played GW2 but aion and planetside both get HUGE fps increases as the cpu frequency increases

:cheers: i'll support it

Not played GW2 but aion and planetside both get HUGE fps increases as the cpu frequency increases

I think its most extreme in Aion, to be honest. Shoot, if I ran my 3930k rig at base frequency, I'd experience FPS dips at the biggest seiges in Aion, on a part THAT powerful. Throwing a 1GHz+ OC at it fixed that problem and all of its relatives :attn: NCSoft likes this approach, for some reason.. Though City of Heroes wasn't demanding enough to show its CPU dependancy without running it on a x2 or similar older part :(

EDIT: I think what people don't understand is, a 30% increase in overall processing MIGHT equate to a 30% increase in overall FPS (Though usually much less), but if in a game like Aion, where every frame is waiting on the CPU to figure out what texture should be loaded to memory, and whatever the hell else the game's terribad prediction omits frame by frame, going from a terrible bottleneck (Frame skips and something as low as 2 FPS in some cases) to a bottleneck not existing (Adding a 8350 to the mix) can and SHOULD make a threefold (or even much more) increase to your MINIMUM FPS. Going from 2 FPS minimum to 34 FPS minimum going from a 955x4 to a 8350 shouldn't be shocking, especially if you note the MAX fps only increased by about 1-3, and the AVERAGE is only about 15% higher (Which is the number Beep is giving to me, I think).

so why not teach the guy to get his clock up where he needs them and balance his system performance with this rig before he drops coin on upgrades.

so why not teach the guy to get his clock up where he needs them and balance his system performance with this rig before he drops coin on upgrades.

Willing to try. I'm personally not too experienced with the 840 part-- I'm not sure of its typical thresholds, potential, and voltage requirements, though I suppose they aren't too different than other parts of its time.

I'm afraid rising him to something like 3.5 isn't going to net him the performance he's looking for, and not sure if that part is going to get into the 3.8-4.0 range that the better binned Phenoms can reach :(

Whats funny is i run skyrim on ultra with the high res texture pack (from tes nexus) and its smooth as butter. I tweaked my settings on ps2 and my frames got better. But, im always up for a bit of learning ;). Can i get a rundown on this fsb multi? Or a good article to browse through? If i read correctly i wouldnt be increasing the speed of the core but the speed of the fsb which results in faster memory transfer? Derp if im wrong

I was able to increase my speed to 3.4 without tinkering w voltages. Ill post a screen of my bios on the morrow and maybe we can get crackalackin.

Whats funny is i run skyrim on ultra with the high res texture pack (from tes nexus) and its smooth as butter. I tweaked my settings on ps2 and my frames got better. But, im always up for a bit of learning ;). Can i get a rundown on this fsb multi? Or a good article to browse through? If i read correctly i wouldnt be increasing the speed of the core but the speed of the fsb which results in faster memory transfer? Derp if im wrong

Easiest way would be to start with something small, like lowering your memory a single multiplier (Set it at 1333 for starters) and give the FSB a bump, something like 215 for starters. Some people pick 220, whatever your poison is. Make sure, for starters, your multiplier isn't extremely high, so this only gives you a moderate OC (Such as stock multi).. Also make sure that your HT and NB frequencies are in-line. If they (In turn mainly NB) goes above 2300, you'll need a voltage bump. A single one for the 2300 range, two or three "bumps" for the 24-2500 range.

If you don't know, a "bump" is the smallest incremental voltage increase your motherboard will allow for CPU-NB voltage (Make sure you aren't using the chipset NB voltage..)

cpu id, you can open 1-2-3 or as many copys of this as you like, we will like to see 4 at first, one showing the processor tab.
one showing the memory tab.
one showing the spd tab.

you can only open one copy of hardware monitor, expand the window till the "core temps" or package temps".
these give us a lot of info that allows us to help you in a safe manner.

cpu id, you can open 1-2-3 or as many copys of this as you like, we will like to see 4 at first, one showing the processor tab.
one showing the memory tab.
one showing the spd tab.

you can only open one copy of hardware monitor, expand the window till the "core temps" or package temps".
these give us a lot of info that allows us to help you in a safe manner.

Aye to this-- The information before you take my previous post for anything more than a grain of salt, I always jump the gun haha :( I'll slink on out, even if a Phenom is a Phenom they OC a bit differently than the 9xx's do :p

Anonaru, you guys just stay put please, someones got to look over my shoulder and teach me a two or thing.

over in motherboards you tought me something I didn't know so please give me a hand.

Back