• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble keeping things going in the storm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

With the power going out and the dsl connection going down, I've had trouble keeping production up. Until today we'd had 9+ inches of rain in the past 5 days. Today we've had 9.45" (240 mm) more rain and more is on the way. Average rainfall in September in Atlanta is 4.09" (104 mm).

Yikes, you've had double the rainfall in one day of we get here(Mojave Desert) in a year. Triple digit temperatures coming back tomorrow for the first day of Fall. :(

Hang in there Charlie, don't worry about production- just try to keep 'em dry.

We're gonna hit 101°F for tomorrows equinox. No rain in sight, just lots of smoke from all the wild fires starting to break out. Already someone's lost their house in Ashland, OR. Another 400 are a risk.

Could you guys send some of your excess rain to the West Coast? :p

We're gonna hit 101°F for tomorrows equinox. No rain in sight, just lots of smoke from all the wild fires starting to break out. Already someone's lost their house in Ashland, OR. Another 400 are a risk.

I second that request! L.A. County's multiple fire's(xxx,000's of acres) of a couple weeks ago consumed most of the water here on the Left Coast; even being 60 miles away the fires spewed smoke so thick our way that it sting the eyes as if the fire was only a few yards away. I wouldn't be surprised if Aspen Colorado had gotten some of that smoke well.

I have fond memories of the two foot snow fall we had last year; have fantasies of making snow angels...

400 at risk in Ashland? My uncle lives in Ashland. Not a whole lot going on here in AZ, except for the fire that was about 5 miles away from my house a couple weeks ago. I was dismantling rigs, gathering flash drives, DVD's, anything that had pictures and home videos on it. Luckily, they got the fire contained before it got near my house. I feel bad for the people that were really affected by them.

Don't worry about the PPD ChasR. That comes second to personal and family safety and well being. You can always pick right back up after the storm clears.

I'm not a risk living on a hill and my office is on a hill. My commute will be nice this morning with all the schools closed. Several employees won't be at work today and one friend has 4' of water in their basement. One major interstate is closed (I-20) and many major arteries are underwater. It hasn't rained since midnight and it looks like the worst is over except for those living next to rivers and creeks that haven't crested yet.

It looks like most, if not all, rigs at the office made it through the night without loss of power or dsl service.

Last edited:
I heard some co-workers talking about I-20 yesterday... being just down the road news from Atlanta is quite popular around here. In fact Charles, if you've ever been to Panama City (which I'm sure you have) you've probably driven right through my little town - let's just call it a "bottleneck". ;)

Stay dry man! :beer:

I'm not a risk living on a hill and my office is on a hill...
...It hasn't rained since midnight and it looks like the worst is over except for those living next to rivers and creeks that haven't crested yet.

I almost always pass through Atlanta when I visit relatives in Ga.,S.C. & N.C., but don't recall seeing hills. I looked at a terrain map and sure enough saw several clusters of hilly areas.

I definitely recall seeing lot's of rivers and creeks; I bet people living near by have their bass boats filled with belongings.

Atlanta is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. You sure you had your eyes open when you were driving through, Tim? :D My house is right at 1000' above MSL. Of course where you're from, you call a hill what we call a mountain. The Appalachians are mere hills compared to the western ranges. Atlanta is hilly enough to be tough to drive when it's icy, since half the folks drive around on summer tires year round.

Well, most of my time spent in Atlanta-proper was either going to or coming from the airport on the MARTA. I spent 4 days in Tucker visiting, during the '99 World Series(sorry Braves, I was rootin' for 'em).

Hills? The main thing I noticed there was that you couldn't buy booze on Sunday. :eek:

That doesn't matter to me anymore.

;)

That is a fair bit of rain ChasR, last storm we had here last month we actually got our bi-monthly rainfall average in the one day, and the Drains couldnt keep up with the water so got minor flooding around for a day or two, till subsided
That was when lost a PSU from one of my rigs, luckily was only that!

Man I cant imagine rain like that. We get some good rainy seasons every few years but thats it. I was stuck in a flash flood once, we all got ordered to go to high ground cuz the river by our camp quadrupled in size, haha.

Back