• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buy FX-4130 BE or Keep 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well if you had been talking of going to FX-6350 or FX-8350 with 8 gig of faster ram...well my recommend would have been a little different, but you were only going for a $40.00 FX of the earlier 4 core variant and that surely seemd to make little sense.

Now that you are going for an SSD, I would get one of at least 120GB size and 256GB is even better since you can get a lot more of you everyday stuff on the SSD. I bought all 60GB ones at first and now have replaced with 120GB and wish I had gotten 256GB ones at least on the one I work with the most. Live and learn I guess.
RGone...

Well if you had been talking of going to FX-6350 or FX-8350 with 8 gig of faster ram...well my recommend would have been a little different, but you were only going for a $40.00 FX of the earlier 4 core variant and that surely seemd to make little sense.

Now that you are going for an SSD, I would get one of at least 120GB size and 256GB is even better since you can get a lot more of you everyday stuff on the SSD. I bought all 60GB ones at first and now have replaced with 120GB and wish I had gotten 256GB ones at least on the one I work with the most. Live and learn I guess.
RGone...

I did the same thing. Four 128 gig ssd's for four different rigs. My main rig I have a 256. The 128's don't have that much space left after dual booting Windows 7 or 8 and Linux. I have a 4 terabyte Core 2 Duo iMac file server in my garage to store files. It helps. That being said I avoid using mechanical hard drives if at all possible.

Caddi, I just sold my 965. Wish I would have known you needed one. I would have liked to see what someone with more experience could have gotten out of it. I sold it with my MB to a buddy who will never overclock it again. Too bad, it was such a good chip for it.

Caddi, I just sold my 965. Wish I would have known you needed one. I would have liked to see what someone with more experience could have gotten out of it. I sold it with my MB to a buddy who will never overclock it again. Too bad, it was such a good chip for it.

Man delete this post. Pore ole C_D will have a heart palpitation he did not get that wicked thing you had. Not hehehe. Woe is he.
RGone...ster.

Quick update...purchased a 250GB samsung evo yesterday and im ecstatic. load time is superfast. the windows logo on win7 doesnt even have time to twirl and assemble into the logo before my desktop loads.

Those SSD's change the playing field considerably. Good deal on the 256G one. You should enjoy it very well. Congrats man.

Also up date your signature to show your new pieces. Hehehe.
RGone...

A fully (on air) overclocked 4130 may be a bit faster in some tasks than a fully over-clocked 965 deneb but not in others. The deneb would probably win out in tasks that make full utilization of all the cores. The 4130 might be better for a lot of games, especially older ones that depend more on good per core performance since it will overclock higher. The 4130 is in reality not a true four core CPU since the L3 cache is shared among the cores.

FYI >>The Phenom II triples the shared L3 cache size from 2MB (in the original Phenom line) to 6MB.

Phenom ll is shared L3 cache also.

The Deneb processor is a member of the Phenom2 family which includes the five variants shown below:
Thuban
Zosma
Deneb
Heka
Callisto

Each module of 2 cores on FX processor share the FPU and is mostly the reason the FX processors tend to show a lower performance in some situations than the Deneb type processors.
RGone...ster.

Thanks for correcting my error, RGone. So it's the shared FP units that's the real issue with the FX line, not the shared L3 cache.

Thanks for correcting my error, RGone. So it's the shared FP units that's the real issue with the FX line, not the shared L3 cache.

Pretty much. There are other issues that were addressed slightly with steamroller that is in the Kaveri APU that would have helped us all with a newer FX discrete cpu which AMD chose not to give us.
RGone...

So microcenter has the 4130 for $40 right now. Should I replace my 965 with it or is it not worth the $40? I would think it would be a bit more efficient since it's a newer tech than my 965 or am I wrong?

No way I would make this swap. I don't think i would even swap a 4300 for a 965 BE. Even that would be a side grade.

Last edited:
Back