• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If Duke Nukem made moms mad back then..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

They will boil over when they see the Duke Nukem Forever trailers on the net...I mean there is some serious R or X? rated stuff in the game from what I saw.

I remember the Mothers getting all hot under the collar over Duke Nukem 3D back in the DOS Win-3.1 days, because it was too violent, and it had "smut" in it, and I remember that the version that Walmart sold back then was a "cleaned up" version.
I also remember a lot of people getting mad when they had played the game at somebody's house that had the regular retail version, so they go to Wally world and get a copy and instantly felt burnt :mad: and had to get a patch from 3D Realms to make a fully opened version.

I don't remember if they had a direct modem available to dial into, or if you had to go to the site, but in those days most peeps had dialup which took forever to get anything done.

But anyway back to my point, I think Wallyworld will just refuse to sell this one.

I hear a lot of younger people talking about how bad the graphics are but I didn't see anything wrong with 'em.

I like how they stuck to the "total feel" of the original game, where you could (after killing all the bad guys) mess around with the area, and interact with dumb stuff, like the hand blower in the lavatory,and flush the toilet or break it with the mighty boot, or shoot all the pool balls,or watch OJ in a slow speed chase and of course interact with the babes.

I wish I could afford to pre-order the "Balls of Steel" edition, but 100 clams for a game can't be justified unless I sell something.

I reckon you guessed by now, that I have been waiting for this vaporware for a long time and I'm still as excited as when I kiked the Bosses head over the goal post the 1st time :cool:

I have played a lot of games over the years, and because Duke 3D Atomic edition was one of my 1st games, it spoiled me, and to tell the truth all the games since have come up just a bit short. While the graphics improved, and the gameplay smoothed, they all were.. uh make that ARE just a little bit bland.
The only game since that imho had just a smidgen of character was MS's Crimson Skies albeit it is a little bit corny. I know the graphics are terrible, but I like the storyline.

I think there will be enough older gamers interested in DNF and enough youngers that have heard of the "King" to want a copy that gearbox should make enough dough to cover the expenses of acquiring and finishing it....

I'm just glad somebody finished it. I hope it's finished because I have been all out of gum for years.
I think it is a bit too much for some of the younger gamers in the wild though.
What do you all think?

I honestly cannot wait for this game... I first played Duke Nukem 3D with a friend on the N64, i was about 10 years old at the time... was awesome, we played so many hours of it on co-op.

Then to reinvent it a few years later, i got a copy of Duke Nukem 3D atomic addition when i got a computer, just shows how much the N64 version was watered down.

If it has the right age certificate on it... i can't see how mums can get annoyed, they should just prevent their kids from playing it and move on. If they water it down it won't be a Duke game in my opinion. It's all in jest... it's that kind of humor, if it offends you, don't play it... I however have it pre-ordered off Amazon...

Come get some... :D

The graphics arn't bad, they look like standard UT3 engine fair to me, which is fine espcially since it is coming to consoles so it won't be crysis level graphics.

I highly doubt there is any X rated stuff in the game. People freak out over the smallest bit of sexuality in a video game but forget that they have shown boobs in PG-13 movies R rated movies can be pretty darn explicit. I can't think of a video game that has a graphic sex scene which is reasonably common in a Rated R movie.

I highly doubt there is any X rated stuff in the game. People freak out over the smallest bit of sexuality in a video game but forget that they have shown boobs in PG-13 movies R rated movies can be pretty darn explicit. I can't think of a video game that has a graphic sex scene which is reasonably common in a Rated R movie.

I never got the whole "sexuality in video games" thing. Not trying to derail the thread or anything, I mean boobs and Duke Nukem go together like, well, boobs and Duke Nukem, but you get the point. Unless the anti-x rated stuff in video games crowd shower fully clothed, I don't see the point of making a bigger deal of potentially seeing something explicit than the fact that you just killed a battalion of aliens to see it.

you have a chance to use it now, it "unlocks" a part of the duke nukem forever site.

my inside man at wally world says its still on their roster to sell and was up for a midnight release before the wally he works at went 24 hours

wow. i think back to those times and realize how 'cool' my mom was. she used to regularly beat me at games like mortal kombat and doom multi-player till her multiple schlerosis made it too hard for her to move her fingers.

My parents were cool to, they bought me Duke 3D and Doom 1 and 2. I guess they never thought anything of it because its just a game not reality. And my mom never used to beat me at games it was my dad that stomped me lol. Ahhh the days of running on DOS and my old 386 and 486.

I read the title as: "If Duke Nukem made moms back then..." My first thought was; "Damn those would be cool moms, no?".

I just started playing through Duke 3D again with the EDuke32 mod due to this thread. Thanks :D

If the game is rated for age 18+ and people buy it for their 14 year-old kids then they lose all right to complain*

* I've seen parents buy GTA3 for their under-18 kids, despite the game being rated 18+, getting annoyed when I (as the sales person at the time) remind them that it is, in fact, an 18-rated game for people 18 and over, and then trying to return the game because it's not appropriate for their kids. :rolleyes:

If the game is rated for age 18+ and people buy it for their 14 year-old kids then they lose all right to complain*

* I've seen parents buy GTA3 for their under-18 kids, despite the game being rated 18+, getting annoyed when I (as the sales person at the time) remind them that it is, in fact, an 18-rated game for people 18 and over, and then trying to return the game because it's not appropriate for their kids. :rolleyes:

I loved that lol I used to be the manager of a game rush store, So terrible. I'd get parent after parent and I'd warn them about a game that it's way to violent. I'd get the evil look from the child, the mom would just raise a brow like a whatever I'm being a wussy or something about a video game. Then you'd see them back in 2 to 3 days demanding their money back from me.

Sorry ma only thing i can do for ya is a trade in :p OWNED.

i remember getting mortal kombat 2 for my snes the day it came out. my dad bought it for me. He came home a little late that evening, and I had no idea he had gotten it. He whipped it out as i was heading to bed, and said "Son, wanna play with me?"

Turns out, dad had been playing it in the arcades during his lunch breaks at work and he whipped me up and down. Was fun though

My mom was cool enough to let me get those kinds of games, it was my dad who'd play them with me.

When GTA3 came out, the rental store clerk and eventually the cashier at the store I bought it from gave her the appropriate spiel. She just said "he gets good grades and doesn't get in trouble, he'll be fine". +1 not being a dumbass kid and having smart parents.

I remember playin DN3D Atomic edition and shadow warrior with my dad. I think that sitting there with him playing an ultra violent game laced heavily with sexuality helped me realize that it was just a game and not real.

Frank, my dad bought his own SNES and hid it from me. He didn't come clean about it until last year (this was like 15 years ago lol) He used to play Mortal Kombat and NBA Jams by himself to get really good. Once he had mastered the game he'd give it to me and whoop my *** up and down the side walk.

He used to write games back in the days of olde, anyone ever heard of paperboy? that's one of his heh.

I remember playin DN3D Atomic edition and shadow warrior with my dad. I think that sitting there with him playing an ultra violent game laced heavily with sexuality helped me realize that it was just a game and not real.
Very interesting point.

My parents bount me a NES for Christmas one year. Mario Bros was playing on the screen when I woke up Christmas morning, the next day it ended up in my dads den lol and never got put back into my bedroom. My dad used to play more video games than I did.

My dad and I played Descent II over a 1Mb "homelink phone line" network way back when :) Player Doom and Quake and such a lot with my cousins, and parents never were bothered by it.

Last edited:
I remember tipping strippers and getting to see some (albeit terribly pixelated) stripper boobs. Not to mention in shadow warrior the main character would talk about the male genitalia and it's functions quite often.

I am Lo Wang, Shadow Warrior! Do you want to wash Wang or watch Wang wash Wang?

Back