• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3d animation question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

i have a question those who do 3d animation or know what it entails. take a look at this picture:

http://www.animecubed.com/yugioh/cards1/SYE-017-1.jpg

if i wanted the ugly guy in the middle to leap forward and slash with both arms, what system specs would i need to be able to do that with no framerate issues? there will be minimal sounds, so that shouldn't be a very big draw on the system. also, the system will be running only the operating system and a database besides this. i also need to know the approximate disk space that animation would take.

feel free to call me a nerd if you want, just give me some useful info too :p

Do you want to actually animate it or what?

You get your software. I use maya. It runs on my laptop in my sig with integrated graphics just fine it does get a little laggy when i run at 800mhz tho.

Then you need to model it. looks fairly simple 3-ish solid hours of modeling.

From there you can either animate the acutual parts or rig it. If you want it to only do that one move then i would keyframe it so you wouldent need to rig.

After that then you texture it. not too hard simple colors takes a few min.

Then render. depending on length quality it could take 2min to an hour or so.

my animations are usally about 2-5 megs for around 20 sec at 640*480 res.

You could get it much smaller in flash. However, you would trade the time that you spend modeling for the time you would spend turning the bitmap into vector graphics (actually, if you knew the tools, that would be much faster). Although then you could create a moving background with a loop for a slightly cooler effect.

Here is a quick and dirty render. Took about an hour to do that. It aint great but im tired.

clawguy.jpg

thanks for the replies. assuming i wanted to go with maya, what are the minimum system specs i would need to run the animation without framerate problems? how about if i wanted to go with flash? at this point i'm more inclined to use 3d modeling, but it can go either way. it's good to know i can run it with 1.5ghz and integrated graphics, but i was considering using a mini itx with integrated processor. is that going to be a problem?

You would not have to worry about specs for framerate problem. The way that it works, in rendering the animation, is that it just renders frame by frame, and then compiles it into whatever format you specify. IE, when I was working with 3D Studio Max, when I had a rather long animation, and a rather gimp computer. Rendering took forever, however the animation itself played fine, because I rendered it out to a movie.

i'm not sure if i could render it to a movie or not. i would need to have anywhere between 0 and 10 objects displayed at any given time. most of the time they would be static, but when envoked the animation would play. then the object would either be destroyed or go back to a static position. i'm new to this concept, so i want to make sure the parts i'm using to build the box to run this program are good enough.

Your desired length, frame rate, resolution, and polycount, and rendering options are the big issues here.
If it is a relatively low polycount you are going for, i.e. a total polycount of five to six digits or less, you aren't using advanced radiosity options, the length is ten seconds or less, and you are rendering less than a megapixel resolution, just set everything up and render it while you are sleeping, or use a dedicated renderbox so it can take however long and not disturb your computer habits.
The CPU/GPU frequency have nothing to with framerate. Further, the GPU has no impact on rendering at all as final rendering is done entirely by the CPU. Rendering is essentially a very long series of math calcs and the computer will keep plugging away until it finishes, and the only thing CPU speed changes is the amount of time it will take.
This answer your questions?

hmm, it appears that i wasn't too clear. i'm not worried about the rendering time. imagine this scenario: you're playing a game. there are 10 enemies on the screen. they will be able to react independently of each other. that's sort of what i'm going for here. i want to know the specs i would need to play the game, not to make it. i will be making the models on cobalt, which has significantly higher specs than what i hope the box that will use the models will have. please bear with me, as i've never done 3d animation.

yeah, i need to know what specs i need to play the final render. can you give me an estimate based on the description i gave in my first post? or better, is there a method i can use to determine it myself?

and with that method, if i need to have two of these bugs attack at the same time, will that still work? sorry about all the noobish questions, i've just never done this before.

EDIT: what i'm doing is closer to game programming than just showing a movie, i'm not sure if that helps or not.

We would not be able to determine the answer from this. It depends on several things, like how streamlined the code for the engine which will be using these is, how efficient it is, the features it has, etc etc. The best thing you can do (and it will be fun too, im sure) is to just.....go for it. If not, you still learned.

thanks for all your help. i'll try both maya and 3ds max to see which one works better for me.

Ahhh, so you want to make a game... That will be about 100x more difficult, and require significant knowledge of programming.

*I* would suggest buying half life(1 or 2) and then doing a mod on it. Far cheaper and more effective than actually developing an entire game.

that wont really be an option for me. the engine that this would have to use would be vastly different than an fps. luckily for me, it should be much simpler too. there are no levels to design, since all matches use the same playing field. the camera isn't going to change angle ever (top down all the time), and you can see the whole field at any given time. if you know any engines that already exist that do that, by all means let me know.

Back