• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED USB to DMX cable mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

Just got my blue... Never really been used laser back from my former shop :)
Had me thinking I need a Usb to DMX cable so I can call up the patterns.

Anyone ever made one?

I could wait to have one bought and delivered but Hmm usb about four pins... DMX 3pins. :sly:

Surely if theirs no other parts... I just chop a Dmx and usb and get splicing :D

Then find some controller software (a virtual Dmx desk :attn:)

Been a long day and a little grim :rain:

May just be the distraction this evening needs :D

Productive day in a sense but im tired hungry and nobbed off deep down inside.

So a bit of tinkering and burns in my retinas may cheer me up :rofl:

DSC_0053.JPG

Look at it... All powered down and shiny new saying... Mess with me :clap:

Only tried it once and it was a bit wild... Lock keys have been on my key ring in my pocket so I know its had no further use... Hack now blue lazy beam... If theres low cloud tonight I see a plan :rofl:

No idea where the instruction book got too... Sure I can look it up :) 0-255 channels must all do something :D

Hmm nope it looks like there's plenty of circuit between the two... Doubt this will lead anywhere :(

Last edited:
So not to be a total disappointment

Ooh
DSC_0071.JPG
Aww
DSC_0072.JPG
Ouch!
DSC_0073.JPG

Secondary beam smacks me in the eye off the TV glass... Needs a controller :rofl:

Enough 3B radiation for now :sly:

Nope far too complicated to just make one right.

http://www.usbdmx.com/usb_dmx_interface.html

Optical isolation, over vault protection... I could fry half a dozen mboards trying it out.
Buy now seems more valid, still a hell of a lot cheaper than some physical Dmx desk with the versatility of programming a pc. Be fine on my i3 touch screen lappy :thup:

Case closed... Wallet opened :salute:

DSC_0130.JPG
Usb to dmx and software \ :D / yeap!

Have me a light show before the days done.

I'll do an autopsy on the controller so we can see how complicated it is :D

Edit: Great I have to force drivers and make sense of German distructions... No Dmx standard in computing. Its a big brand but 64bit os says no!
Got the software on but still not happening with win8.1 looking at me like a dog learning new tricks... You will work!
Needs research. ^_^

---------

Nope no 64bit drivers... Needs a 32bit os

Re-install time.

Anyhow... Autopsy....

DSC_0190.JPG

470uf cap to drain the ground incase of ground fault from any dmx device.
Board rate controller...
20MHz oscillator...
Bunch of resitors... Etc etc

Not as exciting as I hoped... Supposedly galvanic isolated... The important part. No fried computers cheers...

:popcorn:

Until the 64bit os gets downgraded to 32bits no play time :D

Still sound to light... Beats milkdrop with a smoke machine, projectors etc... Lol

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0197.JPG

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0205.JPG

DSC_0221.JPG

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0240.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0229.JPG

DSC_0228.JPG

:attn:

Last edited:
Code:
Party at Bobby's house! :attn: :p

Looks cool man! :)

Entrace fee is an overclocked n64 :D
Also a cool mod SP :cool: :thup:

I have a 1080p and an 800x600 projectors
Plus two 92 inch screens.

Anyhow im still working on the dmx... Found an atom pc doing nothing... Be fine for dmx :clap:

Its updating now I have it on a bench psu.
Yawn, so slow but enough spec to run the software controller :bday:

DSC_0251.JPG

Tomorrow I intend to have a full day getting it working ;)

That was just erm... Six lights. I have stacks of lights upstairs waiting and led par cans that are full dmx and strobe.

I even did a laser show on the school roof that I could watch from the sofa. Lol

Neighbours looking at me funny today... Full of mystery is the bob. :D
Cant say I enjoyed soldering with my hands shaking after I rejected the medication they put me on... My tongue swelled up and I bit through it five times with seisures in my sleep. Thats when I woke up spitting blood out for two hours :rain:
Now im calm as a Hindu cow... Thats the diazepam kicking in. Lol

Every dribbling wreck needs a hobby... Dmx hobby to program full shows :D

I may do a party in Bulgaria on the farm... Dance or the snakes will come back... An incentive lol

Maybe cafe nerd. Gaming and coffee in an ambient wonderland :thup:

Cheers SP and keep up the N64 mod! Looking good ;)

Yikes!

I dunno about some of the meds they prescribe... Shifty stuff.

Can't wait to see moar lasers and stuff ^_^ gonna be sweet :thup:
Yep. Pretty excited about this N64 mod. Hopefullyl i don't screw it up! :rofl:

Yikes!

I dunno about some of the meds they prescribe... Shifty stuff.

Can't wait to see moar lasers and stuff ^_^ gonna be sweet :thup:
Yep. Pretty excited about this N64 mod. Hopefullyl i don't screw it up! :rofl:

I think with dmx switching units and dimmer packs I can get control over the none dmx lighting too :cool:

Does an 800x600 projector have enough resolution for retro n64?

I try to use the 1080p sparingly, even some films aren't cinematic enough to run on it. Lol
Its actually a 3D 1080p but I have never tried it with 3D

See im seriously thinking about another venue for this lighting gear but solo... As my last partner is going through hell with divorce and custody. Be nice if I can let her back in on a working venue. I have every respect for her Buisness nouse.

Gaming in the day... Up a notch with alcohol in the evenings... Yeah SP I really just want to employ twenty year old ladies :rofl:

Oh yeah man. SDTV is like 240p... or something. For sure, 640x480 is more than enuff! haha

I use a little emulator called project 64x on my HTPC. I can max everything and run anti aliasing... games look awesome. Knock off N64 USB controllers, or adapters to use real ones are on ebay.

Oh yeah man. SDTV is like 240p... or something. For sure, 640x480 is more than enuff! haha

I use a little emulator called project 64x on my HTPC. I can max everything and run anti aliasing... games look awesome. Knock off N64 USB controllers, or adapters to use real ones are on ebay.

I know the emu ben333 never was a console guy but I love my retro. :D
Mame and aww,errr whats it called the home computer emu?

In veliko tarnovo in Bulgaria we had a Nintendo wii with light gun on the big screen. The punters loved it... Almost as much as rock karaoke night. :rofl:

I think with dmx switching units and dimmer packs I can get control over the none dmx lighting too :cool:

Does an 800x600 projector have enough resolution for retro n64?

I try to use the 1080p sparingly, even some films aren't cinematic enough to run on it. Lol
Its actually a 3D 1080p but I have never tried it with 3D

See im seriously thinking about another venue for this lighting gear but solo... As my last partner is going through hell with divorce and custody. Be nice if I can let her back in on a working venue. I have every respect for her Buisness nouse.

Gaming in the day... Up a notch with alcohol in the evenings... Yeah SP I really just want to employ twenty year old ladies :rofl:

Oh dude, 800x600 is huge :p
N64 is low res anyway. They had to stretch the textures because the N64 only allows 4Kb per texture :screwy:

it's alive!

Win7 64bit on the atom.
Splashtop remote to the Android Xperia z

Channel 1 255,155 the blanket effect :D

DSC_0257.JPG

Dmx freeze please :attn:

Nice one, top one, sorted!

Now I just map the numbers and sequences for reference and we can program a light show.
Gotta buy another laser or three :cool:

Awesome sauce :sn:

255 on channel 1 laser tunnel :attn:

DSC_0261.JPG

Step into the laser tunnel

:clap:

Channel 3 & 4 is x and y motion axis over and under 127 is axis direction and speed.

Their must be thousands of variables \ :D / woop!

DSC_0272.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

Laser triangular and square tunnel on freeze :D

Programme time :comp:

Channel 6 & 7 fold x & y axis
Channels 8 & 9 bounce and spin :cool:

DSC_0275.JPG

Screenshot_2014-06-13-06-18-29.png

Total control dmx style :thup:

Last edited:
matching up the projectors

Vj time...

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

Match up the projectors... As best I can in this limited space :)

Then dmx the led par cans :D

Chained dmx in channel 133, dmx can no2 slave mode via dip switches :thup:

DSC_0285.JPG

Colour wash, fade and strobe modes ready :attn:

Last edited:
final pics

Got a selection of lights and some vj combined...

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0296.JPG

DSC_0301.JPG

DSC_0302.JPG

DSC_0304.JPG

DSC_0307.JPG

DSC_0310.JPG

DSC_0312.JPG

Kill switch works fine too... And sound to light with my pattern selections.

Soon get used to what does what :salute:

Jobby done :thup:

Sweeeet! :thup:

I really like the pic with the all the colours and the white centre.
That's a cool project you have Bobbly! :cool:

Electronics, optikinetics, computers and creativity all rolled into one smokey sweat box :rofl:

Its been fun to get back into... Technology hasnt moved on a deal but its far more affordable now.

I want some proper lasers, rgb full graphical, burn holes in your clothes type lasers.
And some high end scanners.

Im only a phonecall or two away from the scene... Plus I get payed to be at festivals and sleep in a nice van. :D

Just not the uk... Already seen it all and got the T shirt.

Take it to east Europe... Sofia has a pretty good scene and the free parties are supposed to be good.
I always missed them doing the red tape runaround with legal documents.
Or it was the night before I got the plane back to the uk.

Nightmares on wax were taking tips off me when they went to BG... I told them it was awesome.
Source records were intrested too...
Hmm networking time :D

Back