• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Mobo? PSU? Video?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daleon

So my PC has been acting like a punk for a cpl weeks now. The video will cut right out. No warning, no beeps, nada. The system doesn't seem to hardlock immediately. I can hit the numlock a few times but its reaaaaaally slow to respond then it just hangs. Power off, power up. Sometimes takes a few attempts but usually get video back eventually. Some days were good, some were bad. Didn't seem to matter if I had my OC on or off.

Last night video drops over and over, get into windows a cpl times but not for long. Nothing's overheating, everything is nice and cold. Pull power from optical, pull sound card, etc. Still happening. Pull power from mb, reseat it. Doesn't help. In the process of pulling wires, etc I get a nice arc. MB is toast it appears as it won't post at all now.

So defintely looking at least replacing the MB. Question is if it was a bad MB to begin with causing video to cut right out or is the PSU or Video fubar to.

it could all be fubar, only one way to tell get a new mb and see if it works if not keep trying other stuff. you should always unplug the power cable from your pc when messing with any of the power stuff

Yea, I'm going to check Microcenter and Fry's tonight to see what boards they got in stock. Be nice if I can find a DFI P965-S Dark, interrested in trying it out. Otherwise if they got a newer revision DS3 might try that. A friend has a spare Asrock I can try also.

I usually do pull the power cord, but was in such a bad mood the system is lucky it didn't get tossed out the window... I hate it when my stuff doesn't work perfectly.

If I still get black screens after replacing the MB though then its going to be a pita. Can't really be down for weeks waiting on an RMA. I really don't think the MB was the original problem causing video to cut out but its such an odd problem... it could be power but if it tripped protection wouldn't the entire system shut down and not just loose video? And if the video was really fubar I'd expect some visual errors or a completely dead board.

Last edited:
Back