• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Upgrade Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kemosabe89

So I am about to acquire the remaining amount i need to make my jump to my next gpu. I'm not rich, (military doesn't pay that much), so I'm trying to be sensible. Have been doing quite abit of research and found that if I CFX HD 7870XT I will get a 3Dmark Score of 10270 vs CFX 7970 with 11710. Dosent really seem right, or if it is then Money wise wouldnt it be better to just rock 2 7870s for about 2-3 years? Whats any other upgrade i can consider? I want the absolute Best bang for the buck i can afford. If I get a single gpu solution, in the future I will most likely not get another for CFX. Ill just say i will and then never take the dive. SO..... $300-350 and if i do CFX ill have to upgrade my p8z77-v lx to something else. MSI z77a g45 for about 100 but i can save for that also and it runs (x16,x16)

GPU: Considering, CFX 7870s, 7950, 7970, r9 280, or r9 280x. Will also consider gtx but they tend to be expensive all the time. :cry:

and yes i know the story, Single cards are better then 2 cards, blah, blah, blah, I just want a near future proof rig that will rock any game at 60+FPS on any game @ 1920x1080. (triple Monitor setup in future 1-2years)

I just bought a R9 280X for my son and he's loving it. He plays at 1080p on his 32" LCD TV on highest settings (Batman: Arkham Origins). And it's really cheap too. He doesn't want to get another to crossfire as he says a lot of games have problems with crossfire. But I don't know how a single 280X will do on BF4.

As I see it. Get one 280X now and use it until it is not sufficient anymore. By then, maybe the R10 or R11 will be out with twice the performance of the R9 290X at half the price.

Agreed.

If you have a bit more money, wait a couple of weeks for the r9 290 to launch. It should sell around $400 and have the GTX 780 perf.

So, you'll be ready for a couple of years.

If you have a bit more money, wait a couple of weeks for the r9 290 to launch. It should sell around $400 and have the GTX 780 perf.

In Hong Kong, the R9 290X (MSI, Sapphire and XFX) are all selling for HK$4,999 (US$645). My guess is that the R9 290 will launch at around US$500. At $500, I still think the R9 280X has the best bang for the buck at $315. The 280X seems to be a pretty capable card and should last a year or two, at least. By then, AMD and NVidia should both have newer offerings with smaller die sizes.

Of course, if you can wait, might as well see how much the 290 is going to cost.

I am myself going to be waiting on the R9-290, I think it might release for $399 :)

Would be nice to have one of these cards + I actually like designs that push the GFx heat out the back of the PC. I hope HIS make a really good blower model again... was one of the Best 7950 cooling solutions.

Back