• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove heatsink of geforce 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcrites

I heard the geforce 4 heatsink was easy to remove, but I never heard anyone go through the process. Is there something you have to squeeze to lift it off or something else? Any help will be appreciated, I am getting that new geforce 4 heatsink from thermaltake tomorrow, and would like to install it without any hassles. Thanks for any help you can give me.

put the card in the freezer in a plastic bag for a few hours then take it out and the hs/fan should come off pretty easy since the thermal glue/paste is brittle when its cold.

and yes once i get my gf4 i'll be putting one of those babies on it too.

Maxvla said:
put the card in the freezer in a plastic bag for a few hours then take it out and the hs/fan should come off pretty easy since the thermal glue/paste is brittle when its cold.

and yes once i get my gf4 i'll be putting one of those babies on it too.

The geforce 4 heatsink isnt glued on. Just pinch the pins on the backside, and it will pop right off.

WyrmMaster said:

The geforce 4 heatsink isnt glued on. Just pinch the pins on the backside, and it will pop right off.

even better!

don't have a gf4... thats just what i heard to do to get those off.

i have an evga 4200 and mine is pinned and glued on (i checked it today). and it is the exact same hsf as the thermaltake, except mine isn't copper. does copper really make that much of a difference in temperature?

Jerky said:
i have an evga 4200 and mine is pinned and glued on (i checked it today). and it is the exact same hsf as the thermaltake, except mine isn't copper. does copper really make that much of a difference in temperature?

Copper can make a difference, its a better conductor. As for the glue, thats strange, my eVGA didnt have glue, just pins and thermal compound. Its a 4400 though, so its got a different heatsink design.

it's not glue on mine, it is some sort of thermal adhesive that you can pretty much peel or break off. You can't wipe this stuff off.

But yeah it would make some difference, it just matters on how much you overclock that baby, if you do it only a little, then I don't see the big deal on getting a copper one. I believe that they come stock as aluminium.

Alright, I am pinching these pins every which way, and it seems not to be doing anything. How am I supposed to pinch these things correctly?

hello are you there? Ok at the top of the pin pull on the pin inside the other its 2 peices it goes into the plasic conector thing and spreads the bottom apart then after the pin is out you should be able to pinch the bottem and it should go right through, hope this helps? 2 escatsy pills might have not been a good idea so late at night, lol

Back