• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Geforce 2 MX200 32mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f_roque

Now, i know this is not a very good card, and that geforce 3 isn't that expensive... But i think you all agree that spending lots of money everytime there's a new hardware piece in the shops it's hard.

I bought a year ago a Milkystar Geforce2 MX200 w/ 32mb and i can only set the clock to 200/190 no higher... I would like some help on how to cool this thing off;)
It has a small fan attached to an heatsink on top of the gpu andthe memory has no heatsinks. I have no experience on these things and i would like to know how can i attach a bigger fan to the gpu?
And i have an heatsink that i could cut to be the size of the memory chips but i don't know how to combine them... can i glue the heatsinks to the chips with epoxy or something?

Sorry if i'm being too lame:rolleyes:

And could you tell me some good tutorials for these things if there are?

Thanks in advance!!

Nothing is lame in here. Those card ran exceptionally cool. I mean mine had no ramsinks, and just a bare heatsink. What you can do is remove the heatsink and add Arctic Silver, and preferably lap the GPU Cooler. Hmmm, you can cut up an old heatsink from say a P166 and use that as ramsinks, that is w/ Arctic Alumina Adhensive (Non conductive, non capacitive). But don't buy mad cooling for it because it isn't worth it.

My mx 200 sucks it was factory clocked at 143,166 and wont overclock at all without major artifacting. More cooling may get you a higher gpu clock but the ram usually wont get any faster, will aftifact at the same speed as before

If your video card has mounting pins that'll fit your HSF, then you need to get some thermal paste. Arctic Silver 3 is one of the best out there right now (I use Arctic Silver 2, and it works great too).

But if you need to glue the HSF on, or you want to glue ramsinks on, then you need some thermal epoxy. Arctic Alumina Epoxy is the favoured one right now (I use Arctic Silver Epoxy, but you have to be VERY CAREFUL not to mess up your video card).

I don't know any good sites, but make sure you do proper research before you do anything! It's pretty easy to mess up your video card.

BTW, the Arctic Silver site is here: www.arcticsilver.com

Humm...
I was wondering if i could use normal epoxy glues like Araldit Rapid when glueing the heatsink to the ram chips?
It is hard to get artic silver compounds in Portugal, the distributer closed and i have to order overseas... that would be very expensive.

no, i dont think you can. you need something with the thermal properties and it can be corrosive at all. im not sure about the araldit though, but the one i know is not supposed to work with this kind of material.
some of the ramsinks use to have a thermal pad at stock that you can keep if you have no other option available.

Back