• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking 'n' overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

I am trying to find out wether or not I can overclock my athlon T-bird 1.2 effectivly. I have DDR memory and "Wcpuid" is showing my 'system bus' to be 265.08, system clock = 132.54, internal clock = 1192.85, multiplier = 9.0.
I imagine that if I 'unlocked' the cpu I could get more out of it, but isn't it BUS SPEED that makes all the difference? I havent seen anyone mention higher bus speeds than about 133mhz, is that as far as I can take it?
which brings me onto my next question- BIOS! I have read that your motherboard needs to be able to 'allow' multiplier changes etc, well I dont think mine does! I've done the whole "pressing F10 until you enter setup" thing and I dont see any where that will let me even SEE the multiplier, (and I have looked). It doesent suprise me that my compaq issued motherboard doesent have all the bells and whistles as "motherboard probe" wouldnt work either. What I need is some advice on motherboard/CPU combinations, and opinions on wether my existing set up can be overclocked further. I just bought a 'Swiftek' waterblock and intend on unlocking the cpu while setting up the watercooling...BUT ONLY IF ITS GOING TO BE WORTH IT... so please.....your comments...

I have also attached an image of my Wcpuid status...

in either of the cpu adjustment or advanced options of your mobo you should find a setting that reads, cpu multiper or something like that and if you unlock it you should be able to run the fsb at 145 or higher depending on mobo and your temps, for instance I am able to run my fsb at 190mhz wich gives me a great big performance boost over systems clocked at my speed with slower fsb timings.

Do i really have an anorexic mobo, or am I just missing something?

As far as I can see, there are no options for changing FSB or CPU multiplier. I can access the blue screen by pressing F10 upon re-boot, where I am given some options but nothing for FSB. Is there some other 'setup program' I can use to change my mobo settings? I think I just have a really basic mobo that has few options. I have checked to see if there are new drivers for bios but to no avail.
So it looks like I'm on the lookout for a new one...I guess I need one that has lots of overclocking potential and works with AMD T-bird 1.2GHz...so, like I said before, suggestions and advice is appreciated.

if it is a compaq forget it as you wont and can never really mess with the multipliers... i guess one of the FSB programs might work for raising the FSB but i am not sure.

search the net for a program called softfsb, it allows you to change fsb settings on the fly and within windows, I hope that works, cuz if it don't looks like it's time to upgrade!

If you are serious about overclocking get rid of that compaq crap! U arent gonna do ne thing with that mobo. Just go through the forums and read peoples input on different mobo's and visit www.tomshardware.com for further reviews. Once you have found one you like visit www.pricewatch.com and check what it is going for though I personally get almost everything from www.newegg.com. As for the cpu is it a 100 or 133 fsb cpu? 1.2ghz is still an extremely usable cpu but when for $100 dollars or less you can pick up an athlon xp...... once again read forums and what not before you buy.

Last edited:
Dump the compaq. there are lots of mobo out there with oc options in the bios. And also a lot of bios updates. Some are better then others. Like mentioned above read the forums here and others for real peoples experience. When you find what you want shop around and use resellerratings.com before you buy. There are a lot of shady resellers out there and you could get burned for a lot of $$$.
And one last thing, remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Welcome to the forums and enjoy.

SoftFSB may be able to bail you out......but it may not.
OEMs tend to get rid of anything out of there control as much as possible, so the compaq board is never going to let you get much.

As far as new boards: as stated before, check out the mobo sections in here, and there are a lot of other forums with great info too....I do suggest avoiding tom's though- it used to be a pretty good site, a long time ago. Now it is filled with idiots and posers. Any good info there happened by accident.

AMDMB is good, Icrontic and Anandtech is still ok- and those are just a few.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks for your suggestions...It does indeed seem that I will be buying a new mobo in the not-so-distant future. I have tried a program that I found called "CPU cool" but my PC just crashes when I try to change anything - so no-go there. Honestly... I agree totally with the trashing of my existing compaq board, I got it before I was tragically struck down with the "overclockumus maximus syndrome", and it really does suck.(the mobo that is...)

That's good to hear. I am happy whenever I hear about another person getting into overclocking and also getting rid of pre-fab garbage. :)

how does this mobo sound...would cost $50-60 bux: Abit KG7-RAID

MANUFACTURER Abit
MANUFACTURER PART# KG7-RAID
PLATFORM Socket A
PROCESSOR TYPE Athlon, Duron,Supports Socket A Athlon 700Mhz - 2.1GHz CPUs, Duron 600MHz - 1.3GHz CPUs
CHIPSET AMD761/VIA 686B
FRONTSIDE BUS 266MHz
FORM FACTOR ATX
AGP SLOTS 1 x AGP 4X
ISA SLOTS 1
PCI SLOTS 6
MAX RAM 3.5 GB PC1600/PC2100 DDR
DIMM SOCKETS 4
BIOS AWARD/Flashed with the latest bios to accept XP processers
ON BOARD I/O PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse Connectors
1x Floppy Port (up to 2.88MB)
1x Parallel Port (EPP/ECP)
2x Serial Ports
2x USB Connectors
On board USB header for Two extra USB channels
ON BOARD IDE Ultra DMA 100 RAID
High Point HTP370 IDE Controller

4 Channels of Bus Master IDE Ports
supporting up to 8 Ultra DMA 33/66/100
(up to 8 HDD devices)

Item Condition: NEW

does that sound like a good deal?

Go to newegg and get a Epox 8k3A+ or an abit KR7A.
Also, the 8k3a+ will allow pc2700 DDR, which is faster. Also, the chipsets are better at handling the memory you already have.
The KG7 is obsolete. Then again, so is your t-bird... so maybe it's OK. Check to see if the L1 bridges are cut. If they aren't, your chip may already be unlocked. (My 1.2 t-bird was!)

2 channel audio means it outputs 2 discrete audio channels, and you can only use 2 speakers in stereo sound, 6 channel audio means it outputs to 6 discrete channels meaning you can use 4 speakers and a centerchannel aswell as a subwoofer, if you plan on surround gaming you only need a 4channel soundcard and 4 speakers, but if you watch dvd's 6channel is better because essentially it is the same as a home theatre system, you get 2main speakers a centerchannel and 2 surround speakers, aswell as a subwoofer, and the sound gets properly split between the 6 speakers, well hope that cleared things up for you.

exactly..... nowa days alot of mobos have 4.1 like he said unless u are gonna watch dvd's i would just go with 4.1 and if it has 6 just go with 4.1 setup ne ways..... and as far as chipset goes just try and get a mobo that has a newer chipset...raid if u dont need it and will never use it dont get it..though great if u use it....umm what else?

No way. Old old chipset. U aren't gonna find a goob board to oc on for $20. If you are looking for a good board to oc on imhop you are gonna spend btw $80-$150 depending on what you get. Your mb is one area you dont want to skimp on... it can save you alot of headaches down the road.

Back