• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling in my first custom system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comrade

Registered
I've never built a system before, so I'm not very experienced. I've noticed that my operating temperatures are not very good at all--average CPU temp is 47 ºC, and average case temp is 35 ºC. I've attached an image of the rest of my temps/stats, and my specs are in my sig. I haven't unlocked the multiplier, everything runs reliably, and I'm using a PCH610T HSF from Power Cooler (http://www.powercooler-usa.com/SocketSolution/pch610t.htm). I've noticed that the temperatures are the same even when I'm running it at a normal 133 MHz FSB. I've got 3 case fans running (80mm Antec SmartFans), two bringing air in the front and one blowing out the back (plus PSU fan out back). Does anybody have any ideas why this temp is so high? I know that my HSF isn't AMD-approved, and I'm willing to replace it if I have to, but it doesn't look like the list of approved HSFs has been updated in a while and my HSF is pretty new. Everything runs as fast as a mofo.

I'm also wondering why my PC2700 RAM won't hit 333 MHz (it only goes to 266, 133*2, by SPD). My ratio is 4:2:1, and I've got the latest bios for my mobo, and I've read my manuals' troubleshooters to no avail.

Sometimes when I go into BIOS setup, I get a blinking underscore cursor at the top and a blue bar across the bottom, and the system freezes. This happens sporadically, and tests with removing/replacing the PCI cards have been inconclusive. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• temps.gif
    temps.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 80
well, generic RAM isnt all its cracked up to be sometimes. have you tried 333 at CAS3? that might work, but then again, it might not be as good as 266@2. as for your cooling, thats actually not that bad at all for air cooling. if those are load temps, i'd be happy with that, no doubt. provided your load temps dont go much over 51 or 52c you're fine in my book, especially with an athlon...

I've noticed that my operating temperatures are not very good at all--average CPU temp is 47 ºC, and average case temp is 35 ºC.
Your temps are really not that bad. Note that your cpu cooler has a 70mm 40cfm max air flow and the fan is thermal regulated. The fan will only increase to the max air flow as the temps increase. The temps in your case/system will be dictated by the ambiant room temps and the air flow. Normally, I prefer a balance between air in and air out and do not count the PS fan. Your setup will give you more air in than out. If your cpu cooler is using a thermal pad, then remove it and apply some artic silver III and you will get a 2-5C reduction in cpu temp.
I'm also wondering why my PC2700 RAM won't hit 333 MHz (it only goes to 266, 133*2, by SPD). My ratio is 4:2:1, and I've got the latest bios for my mobo, and I've read my manuals' troubleshooters to no avail.
I would suggest that you try changing the timing to manual if that is available on the mobo and setting it to the lowest timing. Then start increasing the fsb until you max your cpu. This will establish a cpu capability and you can deal with the memory second. Remember also, that as the fsb increases so will the pci specs and depending on your cards could also effect your max.

You are below the threshold but since you are overclocking yes id try to get lower if you can for stability.

This is what i did to lower my temps without spending money.

1. air duct to channel outside air in to heatsink
i used a clear plastic cup about 90mm in diameter

2. Cleared up any wires blocking airflow

3. Reapplied arctic silver

4. Put the pc on the floor since air is cooler down there

5. Lowered voltages

6. Balanced airflow with fans

I'm using a volcano 7 base with a delta on top of it. 1700xp and an antec 1030 case, and an abit kr7a. I'm getting 32C on idle, 35 on load with my vcore at 1.85 clocking to 1.7ghz.

Experiment and see what works for you. Moving some cables will do wonders.

SkiFletch said:
well, generic RAM isnt all its cracked up to be sometimes. have you tried 333 at CAS3? that might work, but then again, it might not be as good as 266@2. as for your cooling, thats actually not that bad at all for air cooling. if those are load temps, i'd be happy with that, no doubt. provided your load temps dont go much over 51 or 52c you're fine in my book, especially with an athlon...

Thanks a lot for the tip. I'll try that sometime, I'm pretty sure my CAS @ 266MHz is 2.5, so wouldn't 3 @ 333MHz be better? I'll have to find out if it even works.

texasfit said:

Your temps are really not that bad. Note that your cpu cooler has a 70mm 40cfm max air flow and the fan is thermal regulated. The fan will only increase to the max air flow as the temps increase. The temps in your case/system will be dictated by the ambiant room temps and the air flow. Normally, I prefer a balance between air in and air out and do not count the PS fan. Your setup will give you more air in than out. If your cpu cooler is using a thermal pad, then remove it and apply some artic silver III and you will get a 2-5C reduction in cpu temp.

Thanks! I'm using a generic thermal compound called Stars-350 Heatsink Compound, and I know Arctic Silver is the best, so that'd definitely help. I'm going to balance the fans really soon.

You are below the threshold but since you are overclocking yes id try to get lower if you can for stability.

This is what i did to lower my temps without spending money.

1. air duct to channel outside air in to heatsink
i used a clear plastic cup about 90mm in diameter

2. Cleared up any wires blocking airflow

3. Reapplied arctic silver

4. Put the pc on the floor since air is cooler down there

5. Lowered voltages

6. Balanced airflow with fans

I'm using a volcano 7 base with a delta on top of it. 1700xp and an antec 1030 case, and an abit kr7a. I'm getting 32C on idle, 35 on load with my vcore at 1.85 clocking to 1.7ghz.

Experiment and see what works for you. Moving some cables will do wonders.

I manually rounded one IDE cable and the others are tucked away really nicely so they hardly block any airflow. I'm waiting for pro-rounded cables in the mail. Thanks a lot, I'm going to get a nice Papst 80mm 8412-NGL Fan (http://www.plycon.com/papst80.htm) and put it in the back so I'll have two in the front pulling in and two in the back pushing out. I reapplied the generic compound I have and it's not helping at all yet, but Arctic Silver III would. ;)

Back