• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 vs AX-7 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demont

1. Will the AX-7 fit on an Abit kx7-333 and a soltek sl-75drv2?
2. Does the SLK-800 perform 30 dollars better than the AX-7? :D Opinions welcome, I'm not *just* looking for the facts... I am on a tight budget so... that 30 dollars better really give me something. What do you guys think?

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=113809

The AX7 does fit the KX7-333, but not any of the Soltek 75DRVX. X being a number. Is it worth it? That's up to your wallet to decide, if you have cash to burn go for it. If you want to save money, buy the AX7. I'm sure 2-3 degrees can be made up from the AX7 by lapping. Heatsinks always (97% of them) benefit from lapping.

Yodums

well youll only see 1-5c diff with a slk800, so its pointless, or you could just get a svc goldengate and save money if you really need to have it... or just stick with what you got...

or simply buy an ax-7 or a alpha 8045...

well besides the slight cooling benefit, the slk800 has of course, more compatibility with motherboards and fans. sigh, i hate considering things :D

maskedgeek said:
or just stick with what you got...

or simply buy an ax-7 or a alpha 8045...

my motives for upgrading my cooling as follows, i want to get a good heatsink so i can ditch the loud fan. i also want a 3 lug clip cause i already lost a lug on a different motherboard with this stupid hunk of copper CAK38 when transporting to a lan. :D

well then it sounds like the alpha 8045 would be perfect for you!, it uses the 4 holes in the motherboard to mount, itll have awesome performance with a mid cfm fan... etc. its a quality heatsink!

the alpha is old tech.... it just cant compete with the new stuff from thermalright.

Its always nice to own the best, but id go with the cheaper option. Ive got an slk 800, its nice and all, but i dont think its worth the extra money just for a few degrees. The nice thing about it is you can put just about any fan on top. My computer was really quiet when i put my 80 mm case fan on top.

-Steve

Back