• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UNLOCKING??????????amd 1700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unlocking the cpu allows you to adjust the mutiplier. 1.4ghz = 10.5 x 133 (10.5 is the multi)

Why do the lock em up? Well they sell an XP @ 1.4ghz for about 70bucks and they sell and MP @ 1.4ghz for like 130 bucks the MP has the multipliers unlocked and has been tested is SMP.

thnx but,how does it work?im at 1.66 1700+ 151 fsb i hit 9973 un published 9918 pub.310/620 what can it do 4 me??????:eh?: :eh?: :eh?:

well your XP is 1.47ghz defaut 11 x 133 = 1466 youy changed it to 11 x 151 = 1661

unlocking the XP will allow to adjust the setting if your sytem could run stable at 9.5 x 175 = 1662 you would have a better 3dmark score

I might be wrong but aren't all chips pretty much created equal. separate from durons, athlons, xps etc. They are unlocked when made and tested to see what there best speed is and then stamped with what the engineers find to be the "optimum" speed of the chip. Then they lock it. I know we went over something like this in chip architecture class.

all cpu's created equal

That should be true. But they get better at making them and start to release higher-end models in volume as they crank out more batches. Eventually, they have way more high potential chips than they could sell as high end models... because lower-end models are bought in higher volume by Joe User. So, the newest batches have high potential cpu's even in the low-end models.

toadmaster1 said:
so i can or i cant unlock my 1700 and make it run faster?????:confused: :confused:
Unlocking wont necessarily make the CPU run faster, but you can make your memory run faster as well as the CPU by unlocking, dropping the multi and raising the FSB. So for example 11 x 151= 1661 but so does 10 x 166, and at 10 x 166 your whole system will run faster, not just the CPU.

just look in my sig... thats a crappy 1700+ (AGOGA 9 stepping)
11*133 is default, i run at 10.5*151.

edit: and why doesnt anybody ever read the sticky's...

Back