• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Athlon XP?? Must I use MP chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Can I use two Athlon XP 1600+ processors in a MSI K7D Master-L or do I have to use MP chips? Is there any difference?

Hmmm...if I remember correctly there is a mod you can do by switching a brindge. I think it might be the L5 bridge to convert it to an MP. Not sure though, wait for more input...

gas-man said:
Can I use two Athlon XP 1600+ processors in a MSI K7D Master-L or do I have to use MP chips? Is there any difference?

Yes you can use them. You may or many not have to mod them to work. Most of the lower speed ones work fine. The difference with the MP is that it is SMP supported by AMD, it costs more $$$, and the multiplier is unlocked.

I think, that the L5 bridges, 1,3,5 have to be connected in order for it to work. and I think that the 1,5 are all ready connected and you have to connect the 3 bridge for it to work as a dual system.

Thanks Maxima :)

I was thinking...overclock my XP1600? Nah - I'll just get another one!

Though I will probably end up overclocking both of them hehe

Shouldn't have to upgrade for a while.

Thanks guys

I don't see the problem...

AMD XP processors were designed specifically to work in single CPU systems, however as of now they work just fine in multiprocessing boards. The key factor in this seems to lie in the L5 bridge which must be closed in order to function in MP boards. This goes for both chips. Most XP chips, to my knowledge, maufactured prior to a couple of months ago, already had an L5 bridge that was not cut. The bridge seems to be cut more often in recently produced chips, evidently. The fix for this is as simple as unlocking the XP itself, except you only have one bridge to connect.

Back