• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random reboots in windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

hey, in this new system i just built I seem to be experiencing random reboots in windows XP professional... anyone else have this problem?

here is something i found from Kellys' Korner XP,

Reboot - Windows Boots without warning!

By default when WinXP encounters a system failure, it reboots without warning. The setting that controls this can be changed:

Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery)/System Failure/Uncheck-Automatically Restart. To view the event log: Admistrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/eventvwr.

also take a look at this link it has info on reboot problems,
http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/win_xp_restart.htm

these should help.

drdingo21 said:
what are your temps? Also it may be your powersupply. What are the readings on the 5 and 3.3 volt lines?

I just bought a new power supply, Sparkle 350 watt w/a combined power out of 220 watts.

I still have the same problem every now and then of rebooting while browsing internet and playing games.

My readings are a little over 5 and 3.3. System Athlon 1800xp, 512 ddr ocz pc 2400 memory, gforce 3 ti 200 64 meg, 60 gig hd.

I also ran memory gold quick test and the memory passed. I am thanking about going back to windows 98se.
:confused: :burn:

I recently had this problem. My computer would reboot mostly while I was playing games (win xp). I turned off the automatic restart feature, and then instead of rebooting, I would get blue screens. I tried updating all my video drivers, etc. but nothing seemed to work.

I finally updated my motherboard BIOS to the latest version and I haven't had any problems since....if you haven't done that yet, might want to give it a shot.

Do you get a blue screen and if so what does it say?
Did you overclock, that could be an indication that you overclocked to much.

If it is NV4Disp.dll it is caused by some conflict with the video card, check out this article I wrote at http://www.cyphersshack.com/?article=1.

scornduffer said:
I already installed the latest bios from Soyo's web site. However there ius a newer one but it's a beta. Should I try it?:)

The screen is black with writing on it. But it goes off so fast I can't read it. When it reboots I always read the error that Microsoft generates.

I do not overclock because I am just leaning,and this is the first computer I built.:)

mdcomp said:
Do you get a blue screen and if so what does it say?
Did you overclock, that could be an indication that you overclocked to much.

If it is NV4Disp.dll it is caused by some conflict with the video card, check out this article I wrote at http://www.cyphersshack.com/?article=1.

The screen is black with writing on it. But it goes off so fast I can't read it. When it reboots I always read the error that Microsoft generates.

I do not overclock because I am just leaning,and this is the first computer I built.:)

here are a couple more things that come to mind.
first, do you have the latest detonator driver from Nvidia, called the 30.82?
then do you have matching ram?
i dn't mean the same type, i mean from the same manufacture and the same type.
mismatched ram can cause problems.

as for the new bios, stick with the current one. don't try any beta bios programs.
and as everyone knows, if you mess up your bios, you have a nice paper weight.
one more thing to think about is your bios settings.
if you are new at this, like you said you were, then you might have the bios settings set wrong. maybe go back through and recheck your settings.
just some helpful thoughts from me.;)

cherokeechief said:
here are a couple more things that come to mind.
first, do you have the latest detonator driver from Nvidia, called the 30.82?
then do you have matching ram?
i dn't mean the same type, i mean from the same manufacture and the same type.
mismatched ram can cause problems.

as for the new bios, stick with the current one. don't try any beta bios programs.
and as everyone knows, if you mess up your bios, you have a nice paper weight.
one more thing to think about is your bios settings.
if you are new at this, like you said you were, then you might have the bios settings set wrong. maybe go back through and recheck your settings.
just some helpful thoughts from me.;)

What do you mean by matching ram? I have 512 megs of OCZ DDr 2400. I have that driver but when I installed it I had some problems.

:confused:

i didn't look back enough to see that you did have matched ram.
but as for the driver, it should have worked. when i got it, it worked for me. the other one to try is the 29.42 detonator.

do you remember what the blue screen error said?
that would help out alot.

which soyo mother board do you have and what bios version do you have?

cherokeechief said:
i didn't look back enough to see that you did have matched ram.
but as for the driver, it should have worked. when i got it, it worked for me. the other one to try is the 29.42 detonator.

do you remember what the blue screen error said?
that would help out alot.

which soyo mother board do you have and what bios version do you have?

I have the Dragon Plus motherboard. I downloaded the bios date 4/02. For the errors see I hate Windows xp in operating systems.

I tried to attach the link but wasn't sure hoe.:confused:

I found only one solution to this problem. Reinstall another OS. I tried everything including every possible bios setting. I believe WinXP just doesn't like certain components and drivers. The only two components I didn't try was another video card and CPU (doubt CPU has anything to do with it). What video card are you using? I built my friends computer the same time I built mine with identical components except he has the GF4 and I have the GF2 GTS.

hmm i just put in another stick of memory and it stopped rebooting =P maybe one is broken... but it still reads it as 256 mb of ram, will i have any problems if 1 of em is buggy?

Run it for a couple of days to be sure. Sometimes mine would run for hours with 3DMark but when I would browse the internet or do something simple it would reboot.

New Memory

NoKtEm said:
hmm i just put in another stick of memory and it stopped rebooting =P maybe one is broken... but it still reads it as 256 mb of ram, will i have any problems if 1 of em is buggy?

I just put a new stick of PNY 256 mg and it still reboots. I've tried everything but installing windows 98se. I probably will do that tonight.

System, Athlon 1800xp, 512 pc 2400 ddr memory, gforce 3 ti 200, 64 meg video card, 60 gig hd:mad: :mad:

I don't no what elest to do.

Steve:confused:

Has anyone tried a dual boot with XP and some other OS? Just curious if that did any good. I'm gonna try that if all else fails cuz I hate to go back to Win 98SE.

Back