• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000+xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shogan191

Using air cool slk800 and good 80 mm fan. I am going to try to unlock my cpu. What would be a normal achievable mark for this chip, and what would be reasonable to expect with air cooling. I know there are a lot of variables but just trying to get an idea as this is all new to me. Thanks .

Please give us more info on your components, especially the cpu stepping. Is this a new set-up?
Each chip and system work differently.
Once we know what you're working with, we can at least give you a rough estimate.

Maxima 88... this is the system I have been playing with the last year. The chip is about 60 days old. I haven't taken note of the stepping on the chip..I have an Abit KR7aRaid,2000+XP,2xW.D. 7200 40 gigHDs,768 samsung 2100 DDR, PNY Gforce 4 4600, 3 Com 10/100 nic, SB Live Value. I'll take a look at the chip later if you need the steppings. Thanks

No need for the stepping for now.
Haven't you tried raising the FSB in the last 60days?
The best thing to do is to see how high you can get the FSB and still run stable. From there, you'll know if you need to unlock the cpu.
Keep in mind that unlocking the cpu will not allow you to run any faster but will allow you to run at a higher fsb (w/ a lower multi) which in turn will let you run your pci and ram faster too. That will mean an overall increase in performance.

Yes I have been able to increase the fsb to 146 and still have it boot. I also change the voltage to 1.85 to do that. Temps stay in mid 50sC. I am running stable at 142x13 and 185 volt. When I say stable I have not run the comp for 48 hours, just 3 to 4 hours. The highest I've been able to get through any sort of benchmarks is 144fsb. That is not stable and is as likely to fail as complete. I run it everyday at 142x13 and 1.85 v. Thanks again.

maxima88 said:
No need for the stepping for now.
Haven't you tried raising the FSB in the last 60days?
The best thing to do is to see how high you can get the FSB and still run stable. From there, you'll know if you need to unlock the cpu.
Keep in mind that unlocking the cpu will not allow you to run any faster but will allow you to run at a higher fsb (w/ a lower multi) which in turn will let you run your pci and ram faster too. That will mean an overall increase in performance.

This is not totally true, its very possible that by unlocking you will acheive a higher oc as well as more bandwidth. For instance prior to unlocking I was stuck, on a xp2000, at 148 FSB x 12.5 at 1856. After unlock 2008 stable fsb of 182 x 11. I have found this to be the case of not only this processor but also the xp1800 and xp1600 that I have. It forseable to obtain and extra 50-to 150 mhz by unlocking, but not always. Just remember every chip is different for OC so results will vary.

I do suggest you OC the chip. I don't know your stepping so I can't give you an estimate of where the chip will lay. As JS mentioned, once unlocking you will up the FSB to probably 166 (Depending how high your Samsung PC2100 or anything will go). Just go as high as you can as first. Make sure things are stable then up your FSB.

The KR7A needs to be overclocked and can't run at stock due to the fact that it's memory bus at 133 is abit wacked and causes errors on memory so you must at least use 136 fsb.

Yodums

Thanks for all the replys. I have to leave town in 2 days so will unlock when I get back. If I am successful at unlocking. would my first step be to raise the fsb up a couple of notches to say 145 and leave the multiplier at 13 and the voltage at 1.85. or reduce to multiplier to around 11 and up the fsb more? Thanks

Back