• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it safe to proceed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thalidomide Kid

Registered
I just stocked my computer with new components:

Intel 1.9Ghz P4
ASUS P4T533-C Motherboard
512 Mgb RAMBUS RDRAM (2x256)
and on video a Winfast A250 Ultra TD Geforce 4 Ti 4600

I have 6 case fans three on intake and three on exhaust plus the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU, I also positioned an extra case fan blowng on the side of the CPU's heatsink to clear the hot air a little faster. The hottest ive recorded it at was 45C it only reached that temperature when i was Playing Warcraft 3, using many apps, or 3d rendering. Is it safe to knock the CPU up a gig or 2, And at what temperature does it get dangerous to run your cpu? Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you certain you have a 1.9Ghz? If so, it's mostly likely a Willamette core P4. These don't overclock much (if at all). You might be able to get an extra 100Mhz or two out of it, but I wouldn't push it more than that. You'd be ahead to buy a 1.8a.

If you have a 1.6 or a 1.8 though, would should be fine to increase the speed a little (you won't get anywhere near a gig or two though).

Thanks for the reply. Im not sure whether or not it is a willamette core, in fact im not even sure what a willamette core is, or how to find out if it is one. I decided to keep the box and the info, didnt say anything about a willamette core.
But its an intel 1.9Ghz 478 pin a-slot CPU.

Thalidomide Kid said:
Thanks for the reply. Im not sure whether or not it is a willamette core, in fact im not even sure what a willamette core is, or how to find out if it is one. I decided to keep the box and the info, didnt say anything about a willamette core.
But its an intel 1.9Ghz 478 pin a-slot CPU.

it's a willy...I'll bet it says 256 kb-L2 on the box.

the northwoods will have an "a" or a "b" after the number....like,
1.6a or 2.26b.

the 1.9 is a willy, intel doesn't make a 1.9a.

mica

Thalidomide Kid said:
I just stocked my computer with new components:

Intel 1.9Ghz P4
ASUS P4T533-C Motherboard
512 Mgb RAMBUS RDRAM (2x256)
and on video a Winfast A250 Ultra TD Geforce 4 Ti 4600

I have 6 case fans three on intake and three on exhaust plus the heatsink and fan that came with the CPU, I also positioned an extra case fan blowng on the side of the CPU's heatsink to clear the hot air a little faster. The hottest ive recorded it at was 45C it only reached that temperature when i was Playing Warcraft 3, using many apps, or 3d rendering. Is it safe to knock the CPU up a gig or 2, And at what temperature does it get dangerous to run your cpu? Thanks in advance for any help.
Im sorry to tell u my friend, but u chose the WRONG core. The Northwood would have been the right choice. But yes, it is safe to tweak it alittle. But dont expect 1 or 2 gigs. U will be extremely lucky to get 1/2 or even 1/4 gig OC.
checking the OCer database i see a 1.9 with a 494mhz OC but from vapochill. Stock HSF did about 225mhz. So you should expect around a 2100mhz processor. GL

Im sorry but i think u leaped before looking
AZN;)

Yup. They're right. The Willamette core is the older version of the P4, and they topped out a little over 2GHz. The mad overclockers are the Northwood cores (as before they will have an "A" or "B" after the speed designation, and they will say "512k L2 cache on them somewhere too). The Willamette was a very poor overclocker and poor performer overall. Sorry to dissapoint you. BUT- your mobo can take a Northwood with no problems... I'd sell that 1.9 and go out and get a 1.8A Northwood. It's a step down in rated speed but I can guarantee you for 99.8% sure it'll overclock a heck of a lot better than the Willamette will.

Of course, you could overclock it and see what it will do. No harm in that (might even be a good challenge). Just don't expect "a gig or two".

Well because im a lazy *******, and dont need much more speed anyway, ill try to OC the willamette and ill post my results, ill heed your advice and not expect much though... Oh, is trying to do this very dangerous? I doubt it could be if im only going for a few hundred Mhz but better to check first.

it can be if u dont know what u are doing. It is prudent to say that u will have a flawless OC with no worries. How much experience do u have with OCing? The serach button will pretty much give u all the info u need. If u come to a problem that u cant figure out dont hesitate to ask.

AZN

Well thanks, dont have much experience, if you can call reading the tutorials on the site expereince ;) I have put quite a few computers together, ive just never OC'd anything.

I've put about 100 systems together. But that didnt teach me jack about OCIng. OCing is a whole new game.
To get a very good OC u will need to learn a great deal about BIOS settings and jumpers. Watch temps and so on.
But the before getting a good OC the first and best thing to do is get the right parts.

I never used your MB but i do understand what settings u will have to mess with in bios.
AGP/PCI should be locked or fixed so they dont go any higher. AGP@66mhz and PCI@33mhz
Ram for best performance should be set to 400 or 4x
Auto will keep it at 400bus no matter what FSB. with your chip im sure u wont past 120fsb. But im pretty sure the rdr will handle 120fsb at 4x. Did u buy pc800 or pc1066?

up the FSB 2-5 at a time then when u get unstable up the core 1 setting. If u can run 2ghz at defualt core voltage great. if u can run 2.1ghz stable but need .2 volts more to do so, then i would say use the lower voltage and your chip will last longer. Cuzz when u think about it, 100mhz is not worth killing your chip with high voltage. Watch temps, you should try and stay under 55c load 50c load is great. the lower the better but 60c u will see problems.

AZN

Back