• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Hammer??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MichaelPoon

I'm going to get a new CPU soon. Should I wait until the Hammer comes out or go for a Thoroughbred B core??

do you have money or not ? ;) :D. Simple question, asked just because the new Hammer is gonna be more expensive than TBred or Barton. My advice is to wait for Hammer, but again it's just me. :eek:

I agree w/ Minokat, but if you wait for the hammer, you might as well expect to get a new sys, since the hammer will not be a socket A.

well not a complet new system but you will need a new mobo and probably a new os

i would wait till some one comes out with a 64 bit os before i get hammer but i want it ooooooooo so badly

i wouldnt wait for hammer personally. i would however, wait for nforce2 and kt400 to get out. then get like a 2400 or 2600 and OC it like mad!

Demont said:
i wouldnt wait for hammer personally. i would however, wait for nforce2 and kt400 to get out. then get like a 2400 or 2600 and OC it like mad!

that is my plan right there although it would be nice to get hammer and new board with ciff socket cause then your ready for all new upgrades

i dunno, hammer probably wont be around in any quantity until into 2003. thats a long time. plus... the revb tbreds are a great improvement, i think we are gonna see the k7 architecture scale higher than we ever thought. personally i think its gonna be a great time to buy once kt400 nforce2 and everything get on the market.

Demont said:
i dunno, hammer probably wont be around in any quantity until into 2003. thats a long time. plus... the revb tbreds are a great improvement, i think we are gonna see the k7 architecture scale higher than we ever thought. personally i think its gonna be a great time to buy once kt400 nforce2 and everything get on the market.

i have noticed the kt400 boards dont say they support the new tbreds with the 166fsb so i dont know. but anyone know when they will be available cause i want like a 2400+ one of the nice abit kt400 boards and some pc3200 ram and maybe a new vid card like ti 4400

wildbilly2k said:

i have noticed the kt400 boards dont say they support the new tbreds with the 166fsb so i dont know. but anyone know when they will be available cause i want like a 2400+ one of the nice abit kt400 boards and some pc3200 ram and maybe a new vid card like ti 4400

Get an NForce2, it's gonna have dual channel DDR and a hell of a lot of features.

they will probably just release a 64 bit upgrade to xp or soemthing like that

do you think drivers would need updateing?

well ms better release it quickly or there going to be some new linux users out there again.

The ClawHammer/Athlon will run a 32-bit OS but it will take it in two chunks. It has been benched to a 1.6 P4 ( in the 800mhz test verson ) and Kicked the crap out of it :p The Claw will come out in early 2003 and it un-overclocked will pull a k7 from a k6-2 :cool: .

The T-bread B in the 2600+ verson got to 2.66 on water and 2.5 on air Remember that the P4 is @ 2.8 now so AMD still got far to go before we start to celebrate. The Barton is a t-bread with More cache and a Bigger Di Size which means much better cooling. Think of it as a T-Bird VS. The Pally on the Xp chips to the T-bread VS the Barton on to come chips. Sends shivers down your spine to think about how much fun the future will have for us :D .

BTW: I say Kick the crap out of it because it Beat the P4 at its own game. Ie. Quake III was optimized for the P4 and it was beat by an AMD chip of a less speed.

i wish they would just get on with it

it seems like were on the verge of all this cool stuff but it never comes out

Back