• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP 1600+ overclocking cooling suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Feuerkampf

I just got an XP 1600+ which I am planning on unlocking and running it as fast as I can get it.

Now I have been reading cooling reviews and whatnot and haven't found anything I am really sold on.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I want something that is very effective yet not going to wake the dead (this is probably a pipe dream ;)).

If I do go for something that is rather loud, is insulating my case feasible?

I'd be happy to hear everyones experiences, Cheerio :)

Since your overclocking to the max, I'd recommend the Thermalright SLK-800 with a Thermaltake SmartFan II. This is probably the ultimate conbination for air cooling.

I hear egg cartons make good insulators:)

Ok, so forgive my n00bness here but,

I purchase that heatsink and I can place any fan I want on it??

I hadn't seen that before it's rather nice.

Thanks for the help,

If anyone else has some ideas throw 'em my way :D

SLK-800 is about the best out there right now, the AX7 is maybe 1 or 2c warmer for quite a bit less money. Both need LOUD fans for best performance. Cool=loud, that simple :)

But if you want the MAX cooling possible, either H2O or phase change.

Turnkey Phase Change is around $600 for Prometia, I think, water kits are around $200/$300 depending on what you get.

Home-built phase change is cheaper but difficult.
Home-built water can be done for quite a bit less than kits- under $100 if you shop and build carefully. Pelts can be added to H2O to approach phase-change performance for a lot less money.

The answer really depends on how into max overclocking you want to get:D

If you go for phase change or Pelts, you need to seal and insulate the CPU socket very well on both sides of the MOBO to eliminate water condensation and eventual destruction of the CPU chip. The commercial phase change cases usually come equipped with the proper insulating material.

Phase Change and water are a little out of my price range at the moment, plain old air is all I can afford, It's certainly an interesting topic.

So far I am seriosly considering the SLK-800 and the TT Fan 2....looks like an excellent solution.

I have the SLK-800, and its a great HS. From what I've read lately though, the TT 2 doesn't cool the HS that well. One person got temp differences of almost 6-8 C when he went to a loud tornado :eek: . That is something to consider. If you don't mind noise, get a vantec tornado or high flowing delta fan.

Well you see there is the dilema, I don't mind the noise, but the computer is the bedroom and the noise annoys my wife ;)

So I am looking for something not too loud, at the moment I am using a Volcano 7+ at the high setting, so I am looking for something perhaps only a little louder than that, but more efficient.

Or using something loud but insulating the case so it isn't mind numbing, is insulation worth the increase in temperature?

I messed with insulation a bit- I found that it helped, but not enough to justify the expense and hassle.

Another thought for you: get one of the louder fans and set it up on a rheobus or similar: you would be able to increase cooling or make it quieter, depending on where you set it.

I haven't used one, but many do, with good results.

I got my $52 Athlon XP 1600 from newegg overclocked to 1840 MHz at default voltage!!! That's a little faster than an XP 2200. Hottest temperature I've hit is 114 degrees F.

Code is AROIA. This chip rocks. It blows away my XP 1800's.

I've got three more XP 1600's. I'm going to see if they will overclock this high.

EDIT. I started on one of the other, same code. 1815 MHz, rock stable.

I'm using a SVC GC68 with the stock fan on these. It uses a 80 mm fan. Pretty darn quiet and only $6. I think it's the most underrated HSF on the market. The performance amazes me for an aluminum heatsink. I'm using it in about 30 computers (Athlons, Durons, XP's, MP's, and K6-2's) here at work. Most of the time, I replace the factory fan with a Panaflo L1A. It's nearly silent. For a more customizable approach, use Enermax adjustable 80 mm fans, instead. You can turn their speed all the way down for ultimate quiet and turn them up a little if you need more cooling. You can get them from Newegg.com. You can get the SVC GC68 from svcompucycle.com.

Last edited:
Tornado or delta do best because they are mixed-flow fans. Slap one with a rheostat an an SLK-800, and you'll have the best air-cooling on the block, with the option to quiet it.

If you don't mind a couple of extra bucks, try the Swiftech MCX 462+ . It just came out and you can attach a Volcano 9 smart fan to it. My $.02 Hope this helps.

Back