• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a PC under 400 US Dollars - Need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andrej1995

Hello everyone,
I am currently building my new gaming PC and i would like to hear other people suggestions.
I am planning to build a AMD Ryzen PC and every suggestion is welcomed.
I was looking at Cooler Master MWE 650W PSU at 75$,what do you think about it ?
I choosed AMD Ryzen 3 2200G as CPU + GPU with base clock 3.5Ghz and chance to overclock it on 4Ghz or more. Its 120$ and i think that you cannot find a better one for these money. And after sometime i am planning to add a graphic card,something like RX560 or what ever is available.
For Motherboard i choosed Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 which is perfect for these CPU's and for overcloking on many many reviews and its price is again 120$.
Now, i have problem with choosing the RAM memmory as in my country there are little choises. Actually,i can choose between G.Skill 8Gb 3000Mhz Aegis series at 105$ or HyperX Predator 8Gb 3000Mhz at 110$. I've read alot of review and i would like to choose G.Skill but i would be verry thankfull if you can help me with it.
Cheers.

If you get a 350 socket motherboard you may not be able to boot with that second generation CPU because the bios microcode might not have been updated to make it compatible with the newer Ryzens. In that situation you would need to have a first generation Ryzen to be able boot the machine so as to update the bios to work with the newer Ryzens. Go with a 450 board to avoid that issue.

I would go with the G.SKILL 8Gb 3000Mhz. From what I have seen G.SKILL is more compatible with for Ryzen.

The B450 motherboards haven't launched yet and it's not so much G.Skill compatibility as it was Samsung IC. This has gotten much better over the last year so many kits work these days.

Then I would wait until the B450 motherboards do launch if you need a CPU with an IGP. There is also the option of golng with an 8th generation i3 system.

If you get a 350 socket motherboard you may not be able to boot with that second generation CPU because the bios microcode might not have been updated to make it compatible with the newer Ryzens. In that situation you would need to have a first generation Ryzen to be able boot the machine so as to update the bios to work with the newer Ryzens. Go with a 450 board to avoid that issue.

Are you sure ? I've seen many videos on yt and many review both on websites and facebook and everything was okey with this motherboard when they put the Ryzen 3 2200G

- - - Updated - - -

The link to the motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf and there is ''Supports AMD Ryzen™ & 7th Generation A-series / Athlon™ Processors''

A 650W psu is way overkill for you A 500 will be more than enough, just make sure it has the correct connectors for all your stuff.
just get the g-skill ram and be happy you made the right choice.
don't sweat the motherboard, they all seem to work fine out of the box now as reports of this issue have fallen quite a bit.
Please just make sure it has all the features and connectors you need, if you are looking at nvme drives, don't bother with thinking about nvme drives on a budget build, you will only see anything from it at boot, just a 2.5 sata ssd is plenty fast, 500 gigs if you game.
save all you can to get a gpu, this is the best investment for a game rig, even if you have to get a budget card, a card is always better than onboard graphics.

Are you sure ? I've seen many videos on yt and many review both on websites and facebook and everything was okey with this motherboard when they put the Ryzen 3 2200G

- - - Updated - - -

The link to the motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf and there is ''Supports AMD Ryzen™ & 7th Generation A-series / Athlon™ Processors''
Yes, but the point he was trying to make is the board flashed to support it? Many boards have older BIOS' that do not have support for that CPU.

I don't know AMD well enough and will defer to those who do and say its not a big issue anymore. More flashed are on the market at this point, but it just depends. Typically it works enough to flash the BIOS to the updated version anyway.

Much respect trent but I must disagree on the i3 option. Why?

Not overclockable! There are tons of folks running the 2200G @ 4GHz on stock cooling. At those speeds it will stomp a mud hole in any i3.

Good point on overclocking, but considering the i3 8300 is 3.7 ghz and these max out a hair over 4 ghz, 4.2 ghz if very lucky, i wouldnt call it a stomping. :)

Last edited:
If he plans on using that, i agree 100% as the igpu is stronger. But since this was mentioned...
i am planning to add a graphic card,something like RX560 or what ever is available.
...i didnt really consider the igpu with the end game in mind. ;)

Cant go wrong with either imo. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

It will indeed support that CPU but not right out of the box necessarily. The Ryzen 2200G was not supported until bios version F10. When you buy a retail motherboard you have no way of knowing what version of the bios was installed at the time of manufacture. If you buy this board and it has a bios version installed previous to F10 it may not boot at all with the 2200G to allow you to update the bios. If you buy an X470 motherboard this will be of no concern.

Attachments

• 2200G.JPG
    2200G.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
+1 How true. If the motherboard does not recognize the processor it might not boot up so you can flash the BIOS for the 2200G processor. However, F10 BIOS came out in 2017/12/01 so the boards sold now should be up to date unless you get really old stock.

+1 How true. If the motherboard does not recognize the processor it might not boot up so you can flash the BIOS for the 2200G processor. However, F10 BIOS came out in 2017/12/01 so the boards sold now should be up to date unless you get really old stock.

But if it's on sale it is likely old stock. Not a chance I would want to take.

Andrej1995, have you already purchased some of these parts? And if so, which ones?

I also echo what others have said about saving money by going with a lower wattage PSU. Even if you add in a gaming video card in the future you should be fine with a 500 watt PSU, as long as it is not a piece of junk that really doesn't put out the wattage it claims to. Any decent 500 watt PSU should be able to give enough power to your system to handle any one video card you would choose to add in at a later date.

Last edited:
Its all a craphoot, honestly. I wouldn't hedge my bets on a sale meaning old stock either as sales happen for multiple reasons (moving old stock one of them). The thing is, the OP doesn't really have a choice if he is buying this moment.

He has the choice not to buy at this moment and look/wait for something that is not a crap shoot.

Maybe he can buy and send to one of us to update bios if it's wrong version. We're all honest here, I don't see this as a problem.

Back