• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Via ever going to make a SMP Athlon board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ROMAD

Registered
Has anyone heard whether Via intends to make a dual-Athlon board? I searched through the forum a few times and didn't even find so much as a rumor to that effect. So, does anyone have any info or even just some rumor mill gossip?

If they're not going to make one, is it because of AMD, or maybe the lack of a market? Just trying to find out (1)why they haven't made one, and/or (2) why they haven't announced one. Right now, I'm really straddling the fence on what I want for a new system. Obviously my 3 choices right now are the following:

1) P4 ~2.4GHz

2) Single XP2200

3) Dual XP/MP2200

I really don't like the choices of the AMD MPX-based boards right now and would prefer some other options, not to mention more current technology than PC2100 DDR. If I had to choose today, it would probably be the P4, but I am really trying to wait until the beginning of the year. Some kind of hope of Via making a dual board would make the waiting eaiser because I might just upgrade processor and memory and then come back for the mobo when/if Via makes one.

Currently, I have the following:
Athlon XP1700
Abit KG7
512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR memory

VIA makes a chipset for dual socket 370 cpus (Pro266 chipset), but I highly doubt they will for an athlon as 100% reialability and VIA dont really belong in the same sentence ;)

Who cares? VIA has issues and I'd much rather stick to first tier chipsets for duallies.

They do single CPU stuff ok but throw dual in the mix and they screw everything up 95% of the time.

via is dominating the single cpu athlon market atm, so taking a step into the dually chipset market isnt really in their interests.
AMD chipsets also have the confidence to be run in critical server situations, the same cant be said for Via...

Back