• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Athlon is too hot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grutz

Registered
My comp is running at idle temp of 55-57C and can go as high as 67C while thinkin. It's in my room which gets pretty hot. I've got two fans and am leaving the side panel off for now but am still getting these high temps. However I have had zero instability problems.

What is all of you opinions on the best way to cool this thing down??? (I'd like to stay away from water cooled)
Or should I not worry about it until I get stability probs?

-Thanks

yeah Yodums said it. I have received/ purchased several setups from people claiming that they are just not stable. As I begin the teardown I've noticed that they gooped on the AS3 and that was the whole issue from the get. Had they read the directions they would have saved the time, money and headaches.

ok

I'm not using paste, I'm using the pad that came on my heatsink. My heatsink came with the processor ( I kinda knew I would have to get a better one but wanted to ask all of you what to get) and it runs at 5500+ rpms.
I didn't know that the paste was a requirment, I'll give that a try.
I think the biggest problem is the temp in my room, cause now that it's 1:30 in the morning the temp is down to 48C. But is that still to high?

-thanks

I_like_penguins what is a "proc" are you talking about the cpu or power supply? anyways gruntz yes go out and buy a better fan I personally have had good results with the volcano7 but there are many good fans out there. Remember to follow the directions on http://www.arcticsilver.com/as3.htm as yodums said.

I notice your motherboard is an A7V333.

What version is your bios?

Earlier versions get the temps from the On-die sensor while the later versions read from the diode, which reads about 10c lower.

i would upgrade your hsf. i was getting temps in those ranges with my stcok hsf. but know i use a ax-7 and i run 34 deg idle.also get some as3, it really helps. and it lasts a long time. i've used my 3gram tube on a lot of things and i have like 50% of it left.

Three things:
1. Maximouse is right about Asus boards. Probably half of your "problem".

2. I'd get a Thermaright AX-7 Very cool (literally), and cheap.

3. Beware certain flavors of Arctic Silver, it's difficult to use properly and hazardous to your system if used wrong.

I had the same problem with my Tbird, with Idles of 60 or so and the hottest room in the house. Even if you don't want to worry about AS3 you should definately invest in a SLK600. The AX7 is great, but it's huge. If you put a 80mm fan on a SLK600 (which you can do easily without mods) it actually performs a little better than the AX7 with the same 80mm fan. You wouldn't even need to buy a new fan, as the SLK600 fits 60x25, 60x35, and 80x35s, so you could just use a case fan (you won't be needing it).

My problem was somehow my heatsink was seated incorectly, so i took it off, and put it back on. juts hoping it would help, and lo and behlod, it worked! try it! if you have AS3 it helps a tone, took me from 47 idle to 45 Load. good stuff

the T-BIRD is hot period...it will be hard for you to get some of the temps that others have with other verisions of AMD chips...Just do what the above guys said and don't worry about your temps getting as low as theirs...I have a 1.4T-Bird and i usually hover aroud 55-57 full load and its stable...I personally don't like seeing 55C while i read about others nice cool temps...so I'm changing chips....

MUHHHHAAAAAA

lots of replies

Maximouse: I'm using the Bios that came with the board, and you said a new Bios reads 10C cooler... but which is more accurate?

Ugmore: Baggage you avatar is really ugly.

Gnufsh: I live in Hayward, CA

Thanks for all the replies.

Re: lots of replies

Grutz said:
Maximouse: I'm using the Bios that came with the board, and you said a new Bios reads 10C cooler... but which is more accurate?

It's more a PR thing than an important issue. The higher sensor records temps inside the core while the other is outside the core.
So really, both are accurate.

Most other boards use the lower temp range as the AXP was the first cpu to use the core sensor. So when someone who is used to the lower temp ranges sees the Asus temps, they start to panic thinking its way too hot ( I see that in messages quite a bit) :)
I guess too many people complained to Asus about temps and they got sick of it and changed the sensor the bios reads.

Personally, I wish they had left it reading the higher sensor as the auto overheat shutdown would now kick in 10c later. I use the latest Motherboard Monitor program and Monitor BOTH sensors. Right now my diode temps are around 39c idle, 42 load and my on-die temps are 49 idle, 52 load. I am using an AX7 heatsink, I was using a volcano 7+ and the temps were higher.
My chipset temp is around 26c.

Anyway, I think versions 1011 and up are the ones that read the lower sensor.

Hope this helps..
Al

Last edited:
Grutz-

If your board in fact is operating on a bios before 1011, your temps are not unheard of. When I ran an XP 2100 + with stock HS on an A7V333, I had about a 57*C idle.

As long as your pc is stable, I wouln't worry.

If you do want to overclock, then upgrade your HS.

Back