• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETIwatch eating memory ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Wizard

Hi !!

This is my first here so.. let's hope i'm in the right forum for
this question.

I run SETIwatch to monitor my SETI comps but the longer the
app stays open the more memory it consumes !!
Everyone else got this problem ??
Is there a workaround for this ??

Help appreciated.

The Wizard

hi m8e....

right, thats confused me then... i was running SETIwatch on a TBird1.4 with Win2k and never had any problems with memory leaks....

thought maybe if your running it on an older system with win98 is could have been a problem...

sorry pal... over to the experts :)

One Observation I Have Made

Although some more info about your particular setup is always helpful in diagnosing problems, allow me to make one general observation I found worked for me.

When I first started running SETIWatch I had the "Refresh Rate" on the Options tab set insanely low and I discovered that SETIWatch got to the point that it was having to work more and more to maintain my set refresh rate. I have since settled on a refresh rate in the range of 1-2 minutes and with 7 clients to monitor that type of refresh rate allows the program to spend most of it's time dormant, just displaying the most recently collected info until the next refresh comes due. The program does use resources when it is actively collecting data so if the refresh rate is set really low in your case it could be the cause of it tying things up for you.

Just one thought and experience, hope it helps.

SkyHook

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS................

Would love to see bench tests of your rig.......

Thanks all !!

Skyhook !! your suggestions worked !!

I have dropped the refresh rate a bit and that
seems to have solved the problem.

A benchmark of my system is coming...

Hi !!

Benchmark coming up !!

Another question...

When setting up monitoring of my Dual PIII system
should i set up two dirs of SETI progs so that i can
se both threads working in SETIWatch ?? or...

As Skyhook said, if you keep the refresh rates very low (less than 1 minute) SETIWatch will start to grab more and more cycles to keep the interfase updated.

It's just like setting SETISpy to "keep alive clc" with restarting the clc if it detects that the clc is idle in less than 30 sec. That would give you an infinity loop in some slow machines.

The Wizard said:
Hi !!

Benchmark coming up !!

Another question...

On my dual rig I have SETIDriver handling 2 clients and I just point SETIWatch at both folders. I don't cache WUs using Driver so there are only 2 folders.

SkyHook

The Wizard said:

For this you need to answer something else. Are you running SETISpy? If you really want to keep a complete SETISpy log, you need to setup two folders with all the programs (SETISpy, SETIDriver and clc), and just point SETIWatch to both of them.

If you don't care that in the rare ocations that you finish two WU at the same time, just increase the number of proceses in the SETIdriver GUI.

This is because SETISpy can only minitor one WU at a time. In my dual setup I only have one folder for all the programs. So when a WU finishes it goes to the next one in the other instante that SETIDriver is running. What I see most of the times is my SETISpy counter going from 99.99% to 20% or so, as the two instance are not exactly sincronized.

Thanks again for fast answers.

I think i will try the suggested solution with
2 complete folders running the lot. I'd like to
see both threads working on my dual rig in
SETI spy.

Thanks again !!

The Wizard

i set mine refresh every 4min 59 seconds, the longest SETIWatch would allow.

also, on both of my duallie, i've set up 2 different folders, so i could monitor both cpus and both wus too.

btw, Welcome to the Forum!! (to the team too? ;) ) waiting for your benchie result in my inbox... ;)

Back