• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what happens when u overclock the vid card too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be all buggy, the screen will be. At which point you generally tend to freak off and turn off PC

You will see crazy lines and dots, maybe even different colors that don't belong. Just exit your game or 3dmark and turn down your overclock. You don't have to freak out, it happens to me all the time.

If the core is clocked too high, it'll usually lock up and you'll have to do a hard reboot.

If the memory is clocked too high, it'll start showing white specks on the screen, which will get worse if you up the speed even more until it locks up as well.

A few things can happen. Either it will just lock up totally and you have to turn the computer off, or it wil give you wierd things on the screen. Like little chunks of images will move, or little dots and stuff. Then you just exit the program and turn down the overclock.

Kent

Top Hat Theater said:
nope, it won't just die.

~THT

Prolonged use or ignoring the artifacts will Kill your card much quicker. Or you may never get rid of the artifacts even if you run the card at default or even under-clocked.

Just a tip....

for me it will just freeze if i set it up to high... if im in a game and it dint freeze when i set it and it jsut gets too hot form te speed i see weird triangles and stuff or lines that go to the hands and arms of peopel.. but it depends on the game...:D :eh?: :D

Back