• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mobo is best for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djpapakas

A very simple question... I would like to buy a new motherboard. Until now I had an ABIT BE6-II. It was the best mobo for overclocking when I bought it. So, which motherboard is now the best for overclocking? And which one you suggest, in general...

Thank you in advance

I would get the Abit It7 mAX 2 ver 2 and get some very good ram that will last into the future too. This is the board I am getting with Corsair xms 3500 ddr ram

sunnydale45402 said:
I would get the Abit It7 mAX 2 ver 2 and get some very good ram that will last into the future too. This is the board I am getting with Corsair xms 3500 ddr ram

One wouldn't want the IT7 series mobos if they want serial and parrallel ports, or even floppy drive support.

If one wants these things then they should consider the BE7 or BD series. And all of them series will oc about the same. No clear advantage.

Right now I have a brand new BE7 in the Fedex box and a P4PE in my system. The P4PE is one of the nicest mobos I have ever had. I have always ran Abits up till now. Tried an Epox AMD mobo once and I wasn't very good at all. Personally I'd say go with any Abit or Asus Intel chipset mobo that you prefer. What I don't like about Abit is their HighPoint raid controllers, junky. If you want onboard raid I suggest Asus or maybe Gigabyte with Promise controllers. I avoided all the onboard raid controllers and added my own. Really you can't go wrong with any of them mentioned as far as oc'ing is concerned.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Mike360000 said:

One wouldn't want the IT7 series mobos if they want serial and parrallel ports, or even floppy drive support.

Cheers,
Mike

well actually, only the original IT7 max had no PS2 ports/serial/parallel, and I dont know where you came up with the floppy thing. I have the IT7 max and it does have a floppy port. The IT7 Max 2 added the PS2 ports back, and the version 2 has them as well, dont know about serial and parallel though.

Kerry

If you don't need serial or parallel ports then then Abit IT7 MAX 2.0 version 2 (with the PE chipset) is one of your best. (It also has a floppy drive support!)

The fact that you were considering the Celeron indicates that you might want to save a little money. In that case you might want to do what I did and get a P4 1.8a. Most will now will go to 2.4 out of the box. The Celeron 2.0GHz is supposed to be a good overclocker but as mentioned you will suffer, especially in games. If you are doing encoding etc then you won't feel the downside of 128k cache so much.

Your right, the IT7 MAX2 is not the cheapest motherboard

Although he did ask for the best motherboard, and he queried the Celeron, the P4 being his first choice.

Back