• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theendisgone

This is Amd Athlon 1800 XP so why does it say on sissandra this " Speed 1.53ghz" ???

Thanks People

because the 1800 is a pr rating used by amd because an athlon xp 1800 running at 1.53Ghz will execute instructions at about the same rate as a p4 running at 1.8Ghz. theres a whole hell of a lot more going on in a cpu besides clockrate...

PR rating is redundant.....PR is Peformance Rating, at least I think it is...lol. correct me if i'm wrong, cuz i have a habit of correcting people when they're right, heh.

And officially, its the speed at which a regular Athlon processor would have to be in order to perform the same. But, it just so happens that it is also very close to Intel's speeds. And some benches actually show the PR of some XPs to be lower than an Intel of equal performance...but those are benches, and you can't trust a lot of them (though as an AMD fan, its fun to say they're fact, lol).

DaveSauce said:
PR rating is redundant.....PR is Peformance Rating, at least I think it is...lol. correct me if i'm wrong, cuz i have a habit of correcting people when they're right, heh.

And officially, its the speed at which a regular Athlon processor would have to be in order to perform the same. But, it just so happens that it is also very close to Intel's speeds. And some benches actually show the PR of some XPs to be lower than an Intel of equal performance...but those are benches, and you can't trust a lot of them (though as an AMD fan, its fun to say they're fact, lol).

That is correct, it is the speed with which an ordinary athlon would have to run, in Mhz, to perform similarly.

Essentially, Athlon XP CPU's do more work per clock cycle than Pentium 4 processors, and AMD needed to attach a higher number to the CPU because, well, many people don't really understand anything but big numbers...

To be technical about it, the Performance Rating is the equivalent speed of a Thunderbird Athlon.

XP 1800+ = 1800Mhz Thunderbird

XP1800+ >= 2Ghz P4

Heheheh

Originally posted by Farleytron
XP1800+ >= 2Ghz P4

I think this is true about the willamate core. the XPs were way faster than the willies...

Last edited:
Back