• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help OCing my XP2200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N.O.R.E.

Registered
I have an AthlonXP 2200+ on an MSI KT3 Ultra2 mobo with 768 MB Crucial PC2100 Ram. I wanted to get my CPU to 2Ghz and was wondering if 148FSB x 13.5 was a good way to go or should I unlock my chip and try something else? If 148FSB x 13.5 is fine, then don't recommend to unlock it... all I want is 2Ghz and not 200FSB... etc.

Thanks,
NORE

Yes, 148 * 13.5 would be fine. In fact, there is no reason to really unlock your CPU, since your PC2100 memory could not run at the higher FSB speeds any way. I assume that your memory will run at 148 MHz.

There is no reason to unlock the CPU because all the tbreds are unlocked...
*sigh* WE gotta make sorta LARGE NOTICABLE message saying "ALL TBREDS ARE UNLOCKED"...
*EDIT:* I know that many new people aren't aware of this fact, but as the members of the forums that have been here for a while still don't know this.

Anyway, as your proc is unlocked. I don't believe your RAM would go that high, unless you're lucky. so you can just up the multiplier from x13.5 to x15 and see if you're stable or not, if you're unstable then add more vcore. also check your temps before overclocking to see if they are under 50C, as when temps exceed 50C its harder to attein stability and its getting a bit dangerous for an OCed proc.

Thanks for the info Coolest. When he asked about unlocking, I immediately thought about unlocking to gain access to the lower multipliers and higher FSB speeds. I did not even think about raising the multiplier, so that he could run lower FSB speeds. You are correct about the Tbreds being unlocked within certain ranges (depending on your motherboard).

The Coolest said:
There is no reason to unlock the CPU because all the tbreds are unlocked...
*sigh* WE gotta make sorta LARGE NOTICABLE message saying "ALL TBREDS ARE UNLOCKED"...
*EDIT:* I know that many new people aren't aware of this fact, but as the members of the forums that have been here for a while still don't know this.

Anyway, as your proc is unlocked. I don't believe your RAM would go that high, unless you're lucky. so you can just up the multiplier from x13.5 to x15 and see if you're stable or not, if you're unstable then add more vcore. also check your temps before overclocking to see if they are under 50C, as when temps exceed 50C its harder to attein stability and its getting a bit dangerous for an OCed proc.

Oh I see... my bad, my temps right now are about 40C Idle - 44-45C Full Load so I guess I'm fine. I didn't know all the TBREDS were unlocked, thanks for letting me know. As raising the voltage goes, I can't seem to find 1.80... I looked in the BIOS and I only see AUTO, 1.750 and down. Is there something I need to do to get anything higher?

Thanks,
NORE

UPDATE: I upped my Vcore to 1.725 and raised my FSB to 141, gonna try and go for 143 then tomorrow I'll continue and let you guys know.

Thanks,
Nore

Update #2: Fine at 143 FSB, 148 FSB won't let me boot into WinXP. Maybe if I turn down my aggressive RAM settings it'll work. Will try it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back