• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

don't know where else to turn...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustymaitland

i apologize for posting this here. i have been trying to get some help for this problem all day. i ultimately wanted some feedback in the ecs mobos section but no one responded. if someone could help i would be eternally grateful.

long and short is i lapped my hs last night. put everything back together, booted and when cpu posted i thought all was cool. i shut it down to put the cover back on and booted again. this time all i am able to see is the video card info. can't get into the cmos, nothing. reset button. the cpu posts and memory is checked and halts. won't go any further. ended up clearing the cmos and reset my settings including cpu speed and i when i change to 133mhz nothing happens. at 100mhz the cpu is detected at 1.2ghz or something like that. this cpu is a 2000+. any suggestions? is my chip fried?
ecs k7s5a - mobo
win2k - os
512 ddr
edit: i have determined that my mobo will not allow me to change the cpu to 133/133mhz in order for the chip to be recognized. i can get into the cmos at this time but only cause the chip boots at 1.2.

check your temps and try to re-sit the heatsink - and the cpu just in case.
also make sure you have your RAM into the same slots you had before.

did both. no luck. if i get hold of another chip and it boots fine after i change the bus speeds is it safe to assume the motherboard is messed up? would the ram being in different slots make a difference? why?

edit: thanks for responding.

Very difficult problem to address...

I would definitely check that you didn't jar something loose. I would suggest re-seating everything. Recheck all connections.

rustymaitland said:
did both. no luck. if i get hold of another chip and it boots fine after i change the bus speeds is it safe to assume the motherboard is messed up? would the ram being in different slots make a difference? why?
To the contrary...if you get another cpu that works fine, the assumption would be that the cpu is messed up.

flounder43, i did. that is what i am dreading to do. mobo and all. i just got this chip and i don't want to render it fried. the mobo is not a problem. i just found another xp chip. it's an xp 1700+. i will try that first before i rip everything apart.
thanks.

i agree with Flounder about re-checking all connections.

another thing you could try is re-sitting the mainboard itself just in case there is any undesirable contact with the case or something.

one thing i can think of is about your IDE cables, make sure they are not folded, let them really loose inside the case.

I think you're headed in the right direction with a total tear down. I would also recommend just yanking the battery overnight and reassembling just the barebones system with a fresh bios flash before you do anything else. Then with nothing but your cpu/hsf, one stick of ram, and vid card installed you can check to see if the cpu is properly recognized before adding in the other components. You could easily have some small something shorting out, so I'd give the board a close examination while it's out of the case and the same for your cpu, looking for any obvious hot spots or flaws.

23skidoo, i appreciate the feedback!! good thing the wife's puter is still up and running lol!!
just fed the son and i am now off to rip apart this monster. will report later.
thank you.

tearing down the system did not work. i started up the machine with the bare minimum. floppy, hard drive attached to the mobo (i usually have it attached to a controller card) and video card. the cpu will only detect at 1.2ghz even after i change the mhz setting. this is an xp 2000+ cpu we are talking about here. guess it is time for a new board. this sucks.

rustymaitland, didnt the other chip work? the other you found?

did you ever take the mainboard off the case before trying to turn it on again after youve lapped?
maybe there is some jumper you might touched?

i would recommend you to take the mainboard manual and look for a picture so you could compare each component and make sure you didnt brake anything?

o770, thanks for the response.
yes, i took out the board and checked the chassis to make sure there was nothing laying about that should not be. all was clear. i then re-aligned the mobo with the posts. all screws lined up fine. i did swap out the 2000+ with the 1700+ and the 1700+
had some issues booting up to 1.46ghz when i changed the mhz setting to 133mhz. i reset the cmos and tried again several times until finally it booted correctly and was detected as an xp 1700+. i am thinking it is the board more and more. don't know. i am going to 'lend' my bro my xp 2000+ to see what happens when he mounts it on his k7s5a. i guess if it boots no problem then the problem definitely lies within the board. i am so up in the air on this it isn't funny.
thanks for the input though.

Strange things can happen when reseating the heatsink, etc.

When I did mine some time ago, it failed to boot. Completely. No vid signal, etc. reseated everything. eventually took it to the store and they swapped in a celery. booted up just fine. I thought, "oh, great, my brand new tualatin is toast". but for the heck of it, I tried to swap it back in, and it worked just fine ever since.

Don't give up hope too soon! -- Paul

i am just about to but i won't. if for some reason now my 1700+ works, maybe mysteriously the 2000+ will be detected again. just frustrating that's all.

thanks to everyone that gave me all those suggestions. after plugging in the xp 1700+ and having it work i decided to re-apply as3 to the xp 2000+ and turn the hs around. no idea why but it works and i am back in business!
thanks again.

edit: my temps are now a whole 4 degrees lower!!!!

congrats on the better temps, and here's to a system back from the dead! :beer:

Congratulations, rustymaitland: I'm really glad to hear that it all worked out fine for you!! -- Paul

Back