• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What shouldn't you do while OC'd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

I know you shouldn't install operating systems or flash the bios but are there other things as well?

Also, will those problems occur if the only the processor is overclocked (if i had a 1600+ and just changed the multi to 12.5 and make it a 2000+)? Or should I just be at stock fsb and stock multi?

i disagree with the installing the operating ssytem to an overclocked system.

if the system is 100% stable o-c than you should install the os under the oc to let the os set the needed perameters for the system.

is this not correct?

i have always installed my os once i have established the max stable o-c. never had any problems!

I install my OS while overclocked, as long as your stable it should be okay.

As far as flashing the bios, i'm too much of a chicken to do that even at stock:D

-CPFitz-

why would you be afraid of flashing your bios, usually you benefit from the update, so it's worth the try :D and you can save your old bios.

Terryb47 said:
why would you be afraid of flashing your bios, usually you benefit from the update, so it's worth the try :D and you can save your old bios.

The fear comes from the fact that if something goes wrong while flashing you basically have a dead board until you replace the bios chip.

As for installing the oc while oced I have done that plenty of times. Ofc I install at what I consider to be a stable oc.

So that's good news. Don't know if I'll install at my max stable OC, but I think I'll install it with at least the multi overclocked :)

ok...so flashing your bios requires balls now? ;)
those poor manufacturers make all those biosupdates for nothing when everyone is scared to flash ;p but hey, at the same time the same people complain about bugs n stuff..

CPFitz14 said:
I install my OS while overclocked, as long as your stable it should be okay.

As far as flashing the bios, i'm too much of a chicken to do that even at stock:D

-CPFitz-

flashing the bios is a piece a cake

dead board

The fear comes from the fact that if something goes wrong while flashing you basically have a dead board until you replace the bios chip.

Hehe so where would I pick up a BIOS chip from? I tried flashing my bios on my I-will KA266 mb and it's dead now. I looked for the BIOS chip and didn't see anywhere where I could buy it. The chip is an

EoN
EN29F002NT
70P

I would really love to find that chip and try and flash the BIOS to it again......anyone know where I could get it?

Dont fix whats not broken. I avoid flashing, unless theres something that I have noticed that wrong with the one I have currently.

You never know what this new BIOS will do.

Is it possible to flash a overclocked system- wouldnt the flashed bios reset the chip to stock? I've never flashed a oc'ed system.

Yes it'd reset it, but the flash would happen while OCed'. with mobo manufacturers releasing boards before their time BIOS flashing is a necessity, most mobos are beta rather than omega :p ......

Many bios updates are quite tasty in fact... My last one upped the max FSB to 250... of course I could never run the HD's at 50 MHz... If you're flashing it doesn't really matter, all the overclock is is a bios setting... you reset bios when you flash anyhow. SOme boards don't have removable bios chips... so you should be sure what your board has... mine has two bios chips that are hard wired... redundant, but irreplacable.

BoonieRat said:
Yes it'd reset it, but the flash would happen while OCed'. with mobo manufacturers releasing boards before their time BIOS flashing is a necessity, most mobos are beta rather than omega :p ......

this is quite correct. most of youre motherboards when they are first released are still in the bios beta stage. the boards are released ealy do to compotition. on the other hand some mobo manufatures chose not to release a product till the final glitches are out of the system. for instance shuttle diddn't introduce there version of the kt 400(SHUTTLE AK37GT) onto the market until almost two months after most other mainstream manufactures had already released thier's. shuttle boards are not good o-clockers but they are exelent boards.(i have owned two) and after release of each board no bios updates were needed (in exception for introducing stepping codes for new processors).

Re: dead board

-=A][A=-cazman said:

Hehe so where would I pick up a BIOS chip from? I tried flashing my bios on my I-will KA266 mb and it's dead now. I looked for the BIOS chip and didn't see anywhere where I could buy it. The chip is an

EoN
EN29F002NT
70P

I would really love to find that chip and try and flash the BIOS to it again......anyone know where I could get it?

Maybe the folks at BadFlash.com can help you out.

Back