• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg - 1700 or 1800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willlangford

Hey,
I am ordering a new board and ram. And I decided to grab a proc just so i can have the old rig still running. I am thinking about getting the tbred 1800. but i was wondering will the 1700 overclock better and will i get a better overall speed out of the 1800 or 1700. and right now my cpu is retail...but should i save a bit of money and get an oem?

thanks,

~Will

What is the XP2100 in ur sig? is it a palomino or tbred? if its a palomino get the 1700+ and stick it in ur main rig, it will definatly get higher than any palomino and will prolly run cooler too.

theyll both probably hit about the same speed - it just depends on the chip. your 2100 will still be a little faster than either one at stock speed, but the tbred will overclock to higher speeds, so i agree with TC, i'd use the tbred as my main chip.

edit: oh ya, id get oem and a good cooler, unless you want the extra warranty, which youre going to void anyway;)

Oem is the same chip as retail - it just comes with a heatsink that can be used for a doorstop or paperweight;), and a 3 year warranty. Other than that, no difference.

ok thanks. what would the real difference be between a 1800tbred and a 2100pal. i am thinking about getting a 1700 and an 1800 or just 2 1800s. and replacing it on both rigs.

Thanks,

~Will

if you got a revision b thoroughbred it would overclock better. if you get a 1700 it is almost guaranteed that you will get a tbred b. the 1800, i am not sure if they have the tbreb b's yet (i am probably wrong on that one). but with that palomino, you would be lucky to get 2.0ghz. the tbred would easily hit around 2.1 with about 1.75-1.85 vcore. I have also heard of people getting about 2.3-2.4ghz with those 1700's and 1800's.

if you are not overclocking, then the only difference would be the caps on the tbred and the core size. maybe a little temp difference.

okay. thanks so much. we will see how good the slk-800 is. i think i am going to grab 2 1800s. the price is good and ya..i might get a 1700 and an 1800 and see what give me the best speed.

~Will

Back