• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU is a beaut

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lutjens

Just received my new 3.06 CPU from Intel (RMA'ed the old one). The new one runs about 10°C cooler at idle and MUCH cooler under load.

She's a week 47 Malay with a pack date of...01/23/2003!!:D

Hot off the Fab...:)

I dunno.... I don't see why this one would run 10C cooler. It was probably how your cooler was mounted, thermal paste, room temperature..etc..I strongly doubt that 2 P4 3.06GHz CPU's under the same exact conditions would be have a 10C difference itn temperature... I'm sure others will say the same thing too..

I figure there must have been some issue with the chip itself (I'm guessing the heatspreader was not perfectly mounted on the core, or it was warped a bit).

And I'm more than happy with this one...:)

Haven't run it through 3dmark yet (it's on my list of things to do).

I need better cooling on this thing though...it get's toastier and toastier the higher i go....

i'll have to get the swiftech MCX4000 on monday i guess...i wonder how in the world i'm gonna shoehorn that beast to fit this board....

lutjens said:
Haven't run it through 3dmark yet (it's on my list of things to do).

I need better cooling on this thing though...it get's toastier and toastier the higher i go....

i'll have to get the swiftech MCX4000 on monday i guess...i wonder how in the world i'm gonna shoehorn that beast to fit this board....

I'm looking at your rig and boy you've a lot of spending....:D

Mike

The Swifty will fit on the 8INXP. I remember reading that in the Asusboards forum.

I have the Alpha with the Thermaltake SmartFan2. It is a tight fit but it works.

---------------------------------
P4 [email protected]
GA-8INXP
Leadtek Ti-4600 (Tyan 9700 Pro Soon)
80GB IBM 120GXP, RAID 0
SB Audigy Gamer
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1
Sony G500
LianLi PC-75
Antec True480 (custom sleeved)

That Alpha 8942 is super tight on the Abit BE7 mobos too!
I actually had to bend some of the caps on the left side away from the Alpha when I tried it. Works and fits easy on my P4PE though.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Shonuff.

I was about to go with the 8942 but spent half an hour measuring the socket itself and it looks like the Swiftech will fit.

Incredibly tight though. I doubt a person could fit a piece of paper between the heatsink and the caps on the memory side of the socket.

From the specifications I've read, it looks like the 8942 is slightly smaller width-wise than the Swifty. About 0.5-0.75 mm bigger on each side.

I'm gonna go with the Swifty, even if I have to break out the Dremel to make it fit.:D

As a user of a swifty on an asus board it was kind of a pain to get set on the board evenly.. the holes were a little big but the swifty is one hell of a heatsink. Id stick with it, pop a tornado on the sucker and watch the temps for the best air cooler! a word of advice though.. take and burn the AS3 on the heatsink for a few days before maxing the chip out. My temps went down like 7 degrees after I let the as3 set in the pores. Rofl.. and if you want a feeling.. take the heatsink out and set it on your small of your back .. I can still feel the chilling sensation on my back to the day.. its weird.. rofl.. dont think it was me that tried it.. i was sleeping and the gf woke me up quick that way. I wish i had the cash for a 8INXP and a 3.06 :( :( thats going to be one hell of a rig though. Good luck.

BTW, the CPU is running@3500 MHz (152 FSB). Default voltage It does get hot under full load though, so this is as far as I'm gonna take it until I get the Swifty installed. Not a dramatic difference in temperature from 3.06 to 3.5 (about 5-7°C). This Intel heatsink is good for normal use, but temps rise too high under extreme load for my liking. If the Swifty doesn't do the cooling trick, I'll just have to pelt the damn thing (although that thought does inspire worry about the power supply). Maybe just a little pelt to keep the temps low, and high enough to not worry about condensation.

To clear up any questions:

Here's some parts of my system:

Gigabyte 8INXP
Swiftech MCX4000

Yes, it fits, and works :D

There are some capacitors on the right side of the socket that touch the copper base, but it doesn't affect anything. No, I didn't wrap anything with electrical tape for precaution, it works as is.

Great heatsink, got me about 5mhz more fsb than my old one.......which is great on this "I'm not overclocking for anything" 2.8 :D

Even better...a second opinion. Thanks a bunch Stumpjumper.

I'll be ordering the Swifty and a Vantec Tornado first thing in the morning.:)

wait before you place that order...

Hey Lutjens, I thought I would cloud the issue by offering you an alternative to the Tornado. In this review the reviewer finds that the Tornado is marginally better than the Thermaltake Smartfan2. He also concludes that the Tornado is much louder.

So, if you can stand the noise go with the Torndo. If you want "slightly" less performance and less noise go with the Thermaltake.

I have the Thermaltake and I really like it. I have it connected to my rheobus so I can crank it up when I need it.;)

Back