• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen Freezes completely!severe problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conan

here is the story: i have an athlon xp2000+ on an abit kx7-333 mobo with 1stick 512MB kingston pc2700 (infineon chips), sb live 5.1, a NIC, 80gb IBM hdd, cd-rom, cd-r, Asus Ti4600 and eneremax 350W psu.

A while ago(about 2 weeks) my system start freezing for no reason and randomly. I just got my screen frozen with no other possibillity but to reset/shut down. I didn't install any new hardware that particular time. Yet my system begann to freeze more often. Then this week i got a new HDD (seagate 120 gb) and did a clean xp install thinking that my problems will soon be over.. WRONG!! on the contrary!! my sys become to freeze even more often and randomly.. While sometimes could finish the torture test from prime95 or run F@home for many hours, some other times it just frose while browsing!! so i tried to find the cause! i first thought it must have been the processor bc i unlocked it a while ago, it did ran fine for 3-4 weeks but i was worried about the bridges which were really close to eachother(i did it with the defoger kit) so i cleaned all the bridges thoroughly and tried again with everything at stock speed. Still the problem was there. I thought it might have been damaged so i got a TBred 1800+ wrong again!! Then i changed the graphics card with an old STB Velocity... nothing again.. i couldn't think of anything, but then i thought of my soundcard which i read somewhere that has isues with the pci sometimes, so i removed it and : it worked!! my system didn't crash for 24 hours running prime and a screensaver. i did a last try by pluging in the card and it crashed so i bought a new one today.. I was really happy that i solved this pain in the a$$ but then!!! it crushedd!!!! so what else can i do?????

i will appreceate ANY suggestions!!
PS: thx for the time reading my long and maybe tiring/borring post

Last edited:
BUMP!! I start thinking if it could be the motherboard!!! Really have no clue, or could it be a power problem???
here is a screen of my dashboard

does it just do it with soundcards or does it effect anything you put into the PCI slots? Have you tried moving the card about see if that solves anything?

yes i put my sb live in another slot and had the same problem, after i removed it completely the problem was gone for 24 hours so i put it again and it froze after 1-2 min on desktop then i got a new sound card (a terratec) and the problenm seemed to be gone, but then suddenly after 1 day it froze again :'(

*Updated* OHNO raventy was right! i got my mobo in my hands now dead :mad: ! Actually it crushed again, then i tried to restart but pc wouldn't post!! Then i took every component out and tried the mobo/ram/vga/processor combination ( by replacing each component) to see what has died. So i found out that my mobo (abit kx7-333) died (damn i need the same again but they don't have it so i had to go for nf7 which is also problematic as i hear) but it took my gf4600 with it's grave (lol). I am wondering though if it is acceptable to replace the gf also since i think it's the mobo's fault!! :(

hehe, glad I could be of help! Sorry to hear about ur mobo. :( It took your GF4 TI4600 too?! :eek: Ouch! How old was this mobo? Doesnt seem like it was too old since its based on a KT333 Chipset.

yeah i lost my ti4600 too!! but believe me i feel more sorry about my mobo, than this card although it's more likely to get the mobo replaced :(and to have to pay for the graph. card!! but i never liked that specific Asus GeForce4 much! i am going for the 9700 now!! (wow i will leave the ship after a long time, the diamond monster was my last non-nvidia based card)

Back