• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

converting vhs to .wmv or .rma?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h20link

how can i convert something on a VHS tape to a video file? do i need a video card w/a tv in/out? do I need something like an AIW card? i'm doing this for work, i've got no idea how to do it but i told 'em i could figure it out.... as far as the AIW cards, don't they come w/ some type of recording software?

anyways, any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

you will need a capture device there are USB PCI and a few others but look for one that doesn’t loop into your sound but rater has it built in to the device and most capture devices under a few hundred will be mostly software capture and will kill your HDD space fast 30min = 20GB uncompressed AVI look to http://www.doom9.org/ for more info I myself have use a few “Pinnacle Systems” brand types and loved them I use the linxs USB it also comes in firewire and I use to use the PCTV PCI card was very good to

Cheap way - WinTV series of video cards

Expensive way - $300 TV Video capture device from Miro or something.

Oh, don't encode in WMV, its an awful format. If you do, don't use Windows Media 8 or higher.

I have an AIW and it can record an input. It comes with software to record from the TV tuner or an input. You can choose the resolution and codecs. I would not reccommend recording in DIVX unless you have at least AIW 7000. The sound gets delayed for some reason and does not match up with the video.

which AIW do you have, & what format do you guys recommend recording in? i know a lot of people hate .rma, what format do you guys use?

Back