• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with ASIII on northbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewthomas14

I found out I have an A3 revision. anyways how much of the northbridge do i cover up with ASIII? also i cant hit 200fsb. i dont think its my psu but if it is im getting a fortron/sparkle 350w psu cuz i liked mine till i broke it. i can get my chip to 2.3ghz and some odd mhz at 195fsb with 1.75v but when i try 200fsb its not stable. shouldnt i at least be able to hit 200? my psu is a 420w psu i dont have specs but its the same model no. and manufactured by the same company as the thermaltake 420w

If you're talking about the comp in your sig, have you tried 10x200 yet?

i'll try it ,but my chip is capable of running higher than that. but you know anything about how much of the northbrige chips i should cover with artic silver? there is a silver round part and then a then a black part around it. where do i put it on. all over ?

I've never messed with my northbridge but I would think you would only need to put the as3 any place there will be contact with the heatsink.

I don't know if that black portion gets hot, or is just part of the packaging( I imagine it gets warm just by being in contact).. I ONLY spread it on the silver circle myself, and I did a test to see how it mated ( put hs on and take it off to see the AS3 imprint on the hs), and made sure it was mating well b4 I installed it for good,as the 2 nb's I've seen have been much lower in the center than the edges, which makes for bad heat transfer.

Make sure it's mating well, or it could actually run hotter( the actual NB chip- NOT the hs) than it did with the thermal tape, as that thermal tape is thick so it helped mate the hs to the nb( the thermal tape they use is placed in the center of the nb where it is lowest on the 2 nb's I have seen).

Good Luck

Glad to hear you lapped it flat b4 putting it together. Should be mating good now if you took your time and kept checking it.:clap: :clap:

i used a thicker layer than normal just to be safe side .its making good contact. now i gotta wait for it to set in b/c the heatsink moves around a bit .

What do ya mean moves around, didn't you put the push pins back in? I hope you didn't put on a thick coating of AS3, supposed to be thin for max transfer( less material it has to go through).

Back