• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Online mem test?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

My floppy wont work for some reason. I took it out , and put it back in , but it wont work. I need to test my memory for errors. Are there any sites that can test this online, or thru a non floppy download?

memtestx86 has an option to download it as an iso, burn it to a cd-r or cd-rw, and boot it off your cd drive

I dotn have a burner.

Yeah, its in there. It was working i used it like a week ago. Then I took it to my friends house cause his would give us a "enter a disk into drive A" message. I got it there, and it did the same thing with mine as it did for him. Now it does it to mine. Anything I have to enable to get it to work? I checked BIOS, and there was somethign that was disabled, but when I enabled it, I got some error when I rebooted.

EDIT The right way? Both sides arent the same?

Switched cords just in case. Nothing changed. When I have "Floppy Seek" enabled from bios it says" Drive A error". With it off, it just boots the system as if I have no floppy drive.

Does the light stay on on the floppy? If so, remove the cable from just the floppy and invert it. Also, in the BIOS, make sure the floppy is properly selected in Standard CMOS settings, and that the floppy controller is enabled, usually found in Integrated Peripherals.

I never had a light for my floppy. Cord is there I think, but I never had it in. Im almost positive I have it set up right. Floppy is set to load first, then IDE-0, and cd-rom. I get the feeling it works though, and Im doing something wrong. Ill have to play with it.

This post edited by Forum Moderator. No flaming.

SickBoy
Forums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, did that. When its on normally it just acts as if it isnt there. When I do floppy seek enable, it says "Drive A error".

Floppy
IDE-0
cd-rom

Maybe, Im missing an option. What else can I check, and make sure on?

flip the floppy cable connector around so whats on top now is on the bottom. I do this all the time. If that doesn't work why not just go buy another one, the're like 2$ used.

Back