• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP Addy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KLowD9x

Does anyone have any good IP tracking tools/sites? Im not talking about hacking, I just need to find out who is the not-going-to-be-so-proud owner of this IP.

Code:
OrgName:    AT&T Broadband West 
OrgID:      ATBW
Address:    27 Industrial Ave
City:       Chelmsford
StateProv:  MA
PostalCode: 01824

NetRange:   66.229.0.0 - 66.229.255.255 
CIDR:       66.229.0.0/16 
NetName:    ATTB-WEST-7
NetHandle:  NET-66-229-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS4.ATTBB.NET
NameServer: NS5.ATTBB.NET
NameServer: NS6.ATTBB.NET
Comment:    For abuse contact [email][email protected][/email]
RegDate:    2002-02-01
Updated:    2002-08-07

TechHandle: ZM117-ARIN
TechName:   ATT Broadband 
TechPhone:  +1-978-244-4020
TechEmail:  [email][email protected][/email] 

OrgTechHandle: ZM117-ARIN
OrgTechName:   ATT Broadband 
OrgTechPhone:  +1-978-244-4020
OrgTechEmail:  [email][email protected][/email]

Something like that isn't informative enough for you? Thats what whois gives to me.

not going to happen

the closest your going to get is isp

do what ever back

or call the isp and say such and such ip is giving you crap and youll file charges if you dont make it stop

i would imagine that assigning a name to every ip address in the world would be some sort of privacy issue... not to mention just think about how much storage space would be taken up just by the text of a name, address, & phone of everybody who has an ip address assigned to them... yikes!

mbentley said:
i would imagine that assigning a name to every ip address in the world would be some sort of privacy issue... not to mention just think about how much storage space would be taken up just by the text of a name, address, & phone of everybody who has an ip address assigned to them... yikes!

Thats where compression comes in to play. I can compress a 32mb text file into about 0.32MB file using WinZIP.

Only the isp has info about which specific people are using which ips. You typically have to file a subpeona to get that info, I think. In fact there's been legislation passed a while ago that protects isps from being forced to give out that info - only in certain situations involving crime do they have to divulge it.

I'm not too familiar with finger, but I thought it just dissed out the contents of a user's .plan on a given host.

What are you suggesting? `finger ipaddy`? The guy who has the ip would have to be running fingerd at that point. `finger [email protected]`? That doesn't seem right either. Again, I'm not too familiar with finger.

XWRed1 said:
I'm not too familiar with finger, but I thought it just dissed out the contents of a user's .plan on a given host.

What are you suggesting? `finger ipaddy`? The guy who has the ip would have to be running fingerd at that point. `finger [email protected]`? That doesn't seem right either. Again, I'm not too familiar with finger.

only time i have ever used the term "finger" is in a unix envioment... it brings up our student info at school... don't think that'll work for the internet... :D

XWRed1 said:
No, finger works over the internet. Try doing

finger [email protected]

wow! i never knew that! that's pretty sweet... i didn't even know windows had the "finger" command and didn't think about trying it last night :D
wow... with mine when i do "finger [email protected]" it tells me how to look up my full info thru the directory.... and when i did that, it tells a ton about me....

finger.jpg

*edit: no i'm not in engineering anymore... i just haven't had my codo papers processed yet...*

Last edited:
Well see, finger is obviously configured to give up that info about you at your school. And you have a hostname and a username combo that you use to get that info.

Wouldn't make sense to randomly try that on the internet to get someone's personal info from their ip. What would you use as the username? How about for the host name?

Back