• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can computer boot without RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alifay

Registered
I have an old dual p.pro mobo, and dont have any ram for it. Would it be possilbe to boot the motherboard to test it without any RAM in it? I would like to be able to test the mobo before I purchase some RAM

not that i know of... you absolutely NEED ram to boot a computer... this is where EVERYTHING is stored... sorry for the bad news ::(

it might give a post code if it doesnt have any ram...i know that mine do. check the manual for it(if you have it) and see if theres a listed post code for missing/damaged ram...

Well you do need RAM to boot, but you don't need ALOT of RAM...if its old SIMM's, you can probably find a 4mb pair gettin' tossed out for free many place.

Maybe ask around local shops if they have any old computer or old RAM they wouldn't mind giving up for free/a few bucks.

technically, you can boot without a vid card... extremely hard to do anything useful, but you can still boot..

you could still boot up, and run services... but that's about the extent of it... only useful as far as servers are concerned, AFTER you get it all set up....

Boot no. POST, probably. Most likely you get some sort of POST code, which tells you that the MB and CPU are fine at least that far. Memory, though, is generally one of the very first things initialized and tested so it won't tell you much.

it will swear at you normally if you leave RAM out, luckily its own swear filter will pick it up so it will jsut sound like beeps

So if the mobo turns on, and screams at me, chances are that the mobo is ok - the one I have is old stock, that is unused - yet it has been around since 1996, so it's probably had a few knocks.

What kinda RAM you need to test? I've got a huge box of old simms, most of it old 4mb sticks that I've not thrown away just becuase...if you just need a pair of simms to test it, I could mail you 2 small sticks in an envelope just so you can test it.

i s'pose if you can get yer no-ram system to make some type of beep...then you might assume that the mobo is fine however you can't really be sure until you have ram, vid, and proc

Kronos138 said:
i s'pose if you can get yer no-ram system to make some type of beep...then you might assume that the mobo is fine however you can't really be sure until you have ram, vid, and proc

Yeah, the mem controller could be bad just as much as any other component on the board. I had some old P1 socket 5 and 7 boards that were trashed b/c of bad memory controllers...

Back