• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dust!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
use a scotch sponge the thin scrubby ones as a filter/filters for fans and intake hole/holes just tape them on. but try to get the ones that look like they will let the most air through. it dont even have to be 'scotch' brand, cheapos will do too. just get the ones that will let the most air through so it dont restrict to much air. get the thin kind im not talkin bout a normal 1-2in sponge just the thin 'scratchy' pads.this setup will let less air through but you wont be cleaning it as often. when you do clean it you just rinse the sponges out and you might have to blow it out too. but it depends on how many fans you have.

The filters sold for (of all things) home AC units are surprsingly (or not ;)) good filters. They are readily available at home depot, cost virtually nothing, and are designed around the needs of filtering air rather than the needs of a scouring pad. Simply cut to size and insert in the faceplate, taping only if necessary.

sx830_1.jpg

sx830_2.jpg

sx830_3.jpg

Last edited:
Stockings... But won't the fabric fibers get all over the place on the inside anyway?

Filters almost reduce airflow as much as collected dust does. You'll still be cleaning the filters as well as the internals of the case given enough time. My own large front intake is also filtered but I'm not so enthousiastic about filters in general anymore. The whole dillema can be described best as a war that can't be won...

That depends entirely on how good a job you do in implementing a filter. Actual filter material, like the stuff above from a home AC filter, poses next to no resistance. Pick up a home AC filter, put it to your mouth, and blow and you will find next to no resistance. Even the 3 layers I have in the front of my case do not restrict airflow to any substantial degree.

If you use whatever looks like filter material and confine the area of your filter to the hole in front of the fan, you will have a restiction. A large filter like the one pictured does not suffer from this problem.

You do have to clean the filters, but not often. The dirt above is about 6 months worth. And you don't have to clean the interior of the machine at all, that is if you have built an effective filter... which is not possible with many cases as they pepper them with extraneous holes to bandaid a lack of a sufficient and engineered airlow path. But the real benefit is that the fans last forever, and their noise floor remains low as the bearings are not ingesting dirt.

The suitablity for and effectiveness of the filtering of the Chen Ming series cases is one of the (many) reasons I feel this case is the best available. The loss of intelligent airflow and filter capability is one of the (many) things sacrificed as people rush to buy lesser cases in order to be "different". Letting logic and experience guide you to the best solution available is the most different thing in all of humanity.

The adoption of 92 or 120mm fans is the only thing to be improved, but the four 80mm jobs do pretty darn well. Strangely enough you can have the best computer case without windows, aluminum (although there are versions of this case with both), lights, a fishtank, a rheobus, and a partridge or a pear tree... Whoulda thunk?

larva said:
That depends entirely on how good a job you do in implementing a filter. Actual filter material, like the stuff above from a home AC filter, poses next to no resistance. Pick up a home AC filter, put it to your mouth, and blow and you will find next to no resistance. Even the 3 layers I have in the front of my case do not restrict airflow to any substantial degree.

If you use whatever looks like filter material and confine the area of your filter to the hole in front of the fan, you will have a restiction. A large filter like the one pictured does not suffer from this problem.

I guess there might be some benefit to the good filter material you describe. I have not used such material myself. Luckily I have also not resorted to panties etc. I'm using the stock filters that came with the ATC201 at this time.
I can't help but remain skeptical about the airflow resistance of such a thick filter. I think I might just try this type of filter out though... I've been looking to make some changes to my air intake and this could be an interesting option to increase airflow and reduce dust. Can't hurt to try.
I would love to see some airflow comparisons in such situations. This is an area of reviews that could be interesting- fan/filter reviews with actual wattage, airflow and noise measurements.

You do have to clean the filters, but not often. The dirt above is about 6 months worth. And you don't have to clean the interior of the machine at all, that is if you have built an effective filter... which is not possible with many cases as they pepper them with extraneous holes to bandaid a lack of a sufficient and engineered airlow path. But the real benefit is that the fans last forever, and their noise floor remains low as the bearings are not ingesting dirt.

Yes hehe all those holes can be a problem. There is a solution to this problem though- as long as you rig the system to have more airtake than exhaust it will have a slightly higher pressure inside, which will prevent dust from getting sucked in through these openings.

The adoption of 92 or 120mm fans is the only thing to be improved, but the four 80mm jobs do pretty darn well. Strangely enough you can have the best computer case without windows, aluminum (although there are versions of this case with both), lights, a fishtank, a rheobus, and a partridge or a pear tree... Whoulda thunk?

The presence of 80mm fans is a drawback to me too. My own case is the same with 4x80mm fan spots, and I took steps to enhance this layout by replacing the 2x80mm in the front with a single shrouded 120mm fan. Much better. It's all about trading CFM for noise and with the 80mm fans I have had there was always just too much whine or too little airflow. A 120mm makes a more pleasant whooshing sound and moves enough air too.

Agreed on the pear tree thing by the way. Functionality matters.

Back