• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Normal boot: 50C of temp. is it too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tigerpg

My CPU is 50C Is it too hot?

Hi
I've just overclocked my 2.4 c1 to 2.8 (157*18 with 1.525v)
In the BIOs, PC health indicates that my CPU temperature is 47C
with normal boot.
I'm trying the Burning program in Sandra and I checked the temperature in Windows, it says 64C
Is it too hot?? I touched the heatsink with my finger, it's warm. Not that hot....
I'm using a stock intel p4 fan. My motherboard is Abit IT7 max.
how can I reduce the temp of CPU?
what is "Artic silver"? can that product help to reduce my CPU's temp ?

Thanx!

Last edited:
Abit IT7 boards are known to over-read temps so dont worry too much about it. Get some arctic silver 3 greese and see if that improves things...

I would say your temps are abit warm , but still safe for now .

Get the Artic Silver 3 and run you sytsem awhile till it starts to work (kick-in) . This takes about 72 hrs for the AS3 to "cure" itself and really start working .

Heres the AS3 site for more info ..... LINKY

stereo555

Thanx guys!
Do I have to remove the black thing under the heatsink before putting the artic silver 3?
I saw my black therma-pad(?) was ripped.

Even with a false reading (i.e. overestimating the actual temp) it's too hot by a considerable margin IMHO.

I would not rely on just using thermal paste. It would be better to get a proper aftermarket heatsink. There are a handful around that will make a real difference compared to the stock cooler you have now. Do remember that more powerful fans equal more noise.

i agree with Fizz3. On that overclock you should get better heatsink. I know it just from experience - i've run my chip so much oced (almost the same chip - 18 multiplier). and it got VERY hot, i mean to much for an intel-sanyo box hsf. my recomendation is spark7. i will buy it as soon... as i go to capitol... because in my stupid town it's nearly impossible - only by inet but i don;t like this way.
reasumming, You need a better hsf, with AS3.

What is the proper way to put on quick silver, in detail, can anyone describe how much, remove TIM, etc.?

Re: My CPU is 50C Is it too hot?

Tigerpg said:
Hi
I've just overclocked my 2.4 c1 to 2.8 (157*18 with 1.525v)
In the BIOs, PC health indicates that my CPU temperature is 47C
with normal boot.
I'm trying the Burning program in Sandra and I checked the temperature in Windows, it says 64C
Is it too hot?? I touched the heatsink with my finger, it's warm. Not that hot....
I'm using a stock intel p4 fan. My motherboard is Abit IT7 max.
how can I reduce the temp of CPU?
what is "Artic silver"? can that product help to reduce my CPU's temp ?

Thanx!

Spend $35 Cdn. tax included, for a Vantec Areoflow here. You have to drive there no mail order. On southshore off of mercier. They are all above the cash. I have one in my P4 rig and one in my Athlon rig.

http://www.frostys.qc.ca/e_products.phtml?category=acessories

Thats $35 tax included. I have a 2.66 P4 @ 3000 default volts and I get 8C difference between stock and Vantec when loaded.
Not as silent as Intel HSF but no where close to being loud like some of the other performance HSF.

Hi guys my temps are just below his i idle at around 46~48 C load around 56-59C (prime95 overnight). i live in a hot country ambient around 35C. i think its normal. almost same temps with or without oc.

Back