• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One of 2 SLI card is too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad you got the issue's resolved. Sorry for the confusion as we're only good at with the info given to us. I thought maybe it was a bad seat on the GPU via waterblock but once you said that no matter the GPU at the top always ran hot, etc. Since that's thrown out the window and has been fixed, yes a better case for more rads will surely lower your temps. Maybe by another 15c-20c on the GPUs.

Yeah, sorry for that. That's first thing to think about in such case, but GPU names are same and I just confused them first time. If you wasn't advice to try with monitor connected to different GPU, I would have all chances to make this mistake again. So actually you shouldn't apologize for confusion because you helped. Thanks! =)

nice to hear! keep me posted on those barrow gpu blocks perform if you would. just update your thread sometime in the future with your experience with them. i just bought a res made by them and im wondering if their gear is worth looking at :D

nice to hear! keep me posted on those barrow gpu blocks perform if you would. just update your thread sometime in the future with your experience with them. i just bought a res made by them and im wondering if their gear is worth looking at :D

It's hard to judge since I didn't use anything else as GPU waterblocks before. Temperatures difference between GPU and water (in reservoir) is about 10 degrees if I can believe to HWInfo.
Reservoir is well, actually. But after half-year of use I disassembled it to clean and after re-assembling it started to leak when it's temperature was high (pressure inside was too big). Silicon helped - it made reservoir great again :D
Also all fittings, chokes, adapters and radiators in my loop are Barrow's.

So, I guess, Barrow makes decent things for their price, and can be clearly used for mid-end setting. If I wasn't have anything now and was going to make all from the start, I would choose mostly EKWB parts, I think, but also I would spent much more money for them.

That pump needs to be set to max?? Wow. I have't run any pump I owned at max ever. Diminishing returns and all over 1-1.5GPM it just makes more noise and likely shortens pump life.

Ive had my eheim pump plugged in for 17 years straight... Unless its some really terrible mediocre pump i think it should last for a very long time. Same with my aquarium pumps i still have pumps running that are 25 years old non stop litterally for decades except when i clean the tank. I've also found pumps are quieter at max speed then at low speeds. My EK D5 pump when hooked up to the PWM is noisy and annoying to listen too i can hear it revving up and down, but when PWM is unplugged or set to max at 4800rpm the pump is quiet.

Problem with pumps for PC's is it seems alot of them are just subpar in quality i noticed

Yes, they should all last for a 'very long time'. But it depends on the pump as to quality, etc. There is no denying running something at 100% will shorten the lifespan versus something not running at max. I expect a product to run 100% for at least its warranted life. Why run more flow than needed is also a point. ;)

We also are not talking eheim from back in the day or aquarium pumps. Ive also had a mcp65x vario running for the last 10 years... on 50%... no noise, no nada, great cooling. Saved a few pennies on power and a few watts of heat dumped into the loop. My current d5 is set to 40% pwm and i fant hear it over 3 yate loon 120mm fans at 1000 rpm (they are quiet fans... the only in my system).

Never heard a pump itself (no other factors) quieter at 100% than 50%... seems counterintuitive with no other variables. You said it has to do with the setting since its ramping up and down. Set it properly so it doesnt do that and viola, its quieter again. ;)

But you are right....for the most part, it feels many parts arent as good as eheim or aquarium pumps, particularly from back in the day. But there isnt a reason, generally, to run 100% on a pump. Again, 1-1.5gpm flow is peak before diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Wow...old post you replied to...

Yes, they should all last for a 'very long time'. But it depends on the pump as to quality, etc. There is no denying running something at 100% will shorten the lifespan versus something not running at max. I expect a product to run 100% for at least its warranted life. Why run more flow than needed is also a point. ;)

Not true, a car engine is a giant air pump and running it on the freeway an engine at a constant speeds can last longer then in the city constantly changing speeds higher rpm is better for lubrication too but thats for engines. but regardless my pump is noisy at low speeds for some reason so i just keep it maxed lol

Back