• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Res... hard to get suction going?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

I just did a Res/cooler made out of a little fridge and it wont suck the water out of it. I can get the pump to bring it in but thats all. Anyone have advice or is my pump to weak? I have a 1046 right now and a 1250 on the way... Any help is great!!! TY...

If all the seals are good and the path from the res to the inlet of the pump is all filled with water then it should work.

How do you get the pump to bring water into the res? If it can pump water in then it must be drawing water out, unless the inlet of the pump is drawing from somewhere else.

If it can pump water in then that means there is a problem between the outlet of the res and the inlet of the pump.

here are pics...
http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=100
http://groups.msn.com/Veddershomepage/vedderscomppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=99

as you can see... I have drilled 2 holes in the fridge. One high "intake" and one low "outlet." In my current setup, I am running
1 pump Eheim 1046 to-
Maxxpert 120mm radiator to-
Waterblock...

When I was trying the chiller/res...

I placed it between the pump and Radiator.

I wasnt able to get a damn suction on this guy... anyone know what im doing wrong or am I just limited by the power of my pump???

Vedder323 said:
I wasnt able to get a damn suction on this guy... anyone know what im doing wrong or am I just limited by the power of my pump???

You will never be able to develop suction with a pond or fountain pump... that's not what they were designed to do. Unless a pump is specifically rated as self priming it's best to assume that it has no lift capability on the suction line at all.

Is he using an eheim 1046?

Is the size of the output on the fridge smaller than the input in the fridge? It looks like it in the picture atleast. This would restrict the intake of the pump and be VERY bad for the pump.

Forget restricting the inlet for the time being... the inlet must either be gravity fed, or fed by the loops return. It will not lift water any significant height... period.

The inlet and outlet are the same size. I have the inlet on top... pouring into the chiller, and the outlet on the bottom.

Ok, but answer this. Is the pump located below the surface level of the fluid in the mini fridge, or is it above that level. If it is above it needs to be lowered until it is lower than the fluid in the reservior.

I will try this... So, just so I understand... As long as I leave my setup on the ground, and put my fridge on a shory bench or box, I should be up and running?

You don't have to have your whole setup on the ground... just the pump. And even then, the pump only needs to be low enough that its intake is always lower than the fluid level in your fridge. Having both on the ground should work just fine.

Mark Larson said:
Actually why don't you run your pump submerged and keep the res/fridge below your computer? That'll cut down on tubing a fair lot and probably give you better flow.

There's another option for you... sort of removes any risk of having the pump leak as well ;)

Back