• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boost cable speed???!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Albreck

Hi, I get a cable connection 128/64 :( , and cost me $40/month, the question is, is there any way to boost my connection??? any signal amplifier???? or something like that or just have to pay more to get more???????? any mod or something????? please help me out, I heard about a guy who had my same connection and use a ampl to get a T1 connection???? is that possible???? :eek:
well, thanks for any help....
bye :D

there are ways to boost your speed but there illegal to do, so i wont post any links to the info, just search the net, im sure you'll find the info

keep in mind what he is talking about is very dated, and not able to work with today's standards. also, if you get caught its big money and jail-time.

yep, I know that is illegal, but I just want to know if it's possible to boost a 128/64 connection to a T1 conecction, if so..... are you shure that i get what I want on the net????? asking all this because a friend is going to do that, so, I whant to know the pros and cons of this, also what to try my ISP... jejeje.... by the way I live outside US...

Get yerself a friend who works for the cable company...or switch ISPs.

Flexy

If your using XP i think there's also something from with in the OS that you can modify to boost your downloads a lil bit but not by what your talking about

What you are talking about is un-capping and while it was once a possibility its pretty much non-viable these days due to developments which protect that area.. Another name for it is theft of services and as such you would probably do jail time when caught.. You think ISP's do not know how much bandwith people are using ?..
Basically if you want the bandwidth, why not pay for it and be safe and legal

DOH.. I nearly went into explaining the theory behind how such things were once done and why it does not work these days, but thought better of it... Don't want to upset the moderators :bang head

I'd love to get cable working at any speed (soon I hope), but from the point of view from someone on dial-up, try going back to using just a modem for a few days, you'll grow to appreciate the 128.
What your 'friend' has now is more than many have access to, be happy, and stay out of jail :D

Well it is possible, but more impossible then possible :D And only a select few can actually take advantage of this possiblity (if you can call it an advantage, the cable company can find out usually and then you are in legal trouble :) ) Cable modems use a configureation file in the modem that the cable company uploads to your modem via TFTP. At least I believe that is how it works. Also T1 speeds aren't that great in downloads, just uploads. There are a few settings you can change for your PC, like MTU size and other things, but no matter how optimized your PC settings are, you can't download any faster then the modem allows, so I really don't see how that will help. But if you want to give it a shot go to Regedit.com They have settings that might help. Other then that I really don't know what else you can do :( Sorry

Ben721 said:
Wow that sucks.

Try the tweaks that are recommended at www.dslreports.com

I pay $45 for 2000/384 and actually get those speeds when 4 pc's are all online.

wow, you have a bit faster connection then me. I get anywhere from 2 Mbit/256 Kbit to 3.5 Mbit/256 Kbit. I would sacrifice one megabit download for one megabit upload if I could, but only because I have one megabit to spare. I am actually very thankful for my speeds, and it isn't right what alot of these cable/telephone companies are doing charging 40 a month for slow speeds. But unfortunitly there isn't much that can be done :(

oks, a T1 connection here cost about $300 or more... so... can't pay that much..... :( that's why I ask all this...

Hey... guest what, I just see that someone try to get in my computer, this is his ip 148.63.244.28 from california, a spacenet, Inc, or something like that.... guest why try to do so??????, any info or idea...???? go to send a e-mail to the adm to see what's going on....

Albreck said:
Hey... guest what, I just see that someone try to get in my computer, this is his ip 148.63.244.28 from california, a spacenet, Inc, or something like that.... guest why try to do so??????, any info or idea...???? go to send a e-mail to the adm to see what's going on....

Do not assume that all network information is a hack attempt or a DOS attack.. many legitimate services such as IRC send requests to your computer, which will get firewalls like zone alarm going crazy.. discover the facts first.
My ISP also occasionally pings my system and does other routine checks to see if I am running services which are against the ISP's service agreement, as I am doing none of these things I am not really concerned but these checks do show up on my firewall.

Albreck said:

Do not assume that all network information is a hack attempt or a DOS attack.. many legitimate services such as IRC send requests to your computer, which will get firewalls like zone alarm going crazy.. discover the facts first.
My ISP also occasionally pings my system and does other routine checks to see if I am running services which are against the ISP's service agreement, as I am doing none of these things I am not really concerned but these checks do show up on my firewall logs

only program running is emule... and the major users are from spain... but well, you are right.... not all is a hack attack, just kind of worried, comp runing 24/7 so... you don't ever know... jejeje....

Back