• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem wiht dual channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snvpa

like the title says I cannot get dual channel to work with any success at all on my nf7-s board. each pc 3500 stick runs individualy at 220+ fsb at 6332. however as soon as I put two sticks in windows will not even boot at any speed. the sticks are ocz pc 3500 el. they pass in dual channel with memtest up to 210 haven't tried any higher. any suggestions?

I just picked up the same ram, mine is working okay, but could be better. You contradict yourself though, so i'm confused as to what you need.

"like the title says I cannot get dual channel to work with any success at all on my nf7-s board"

then you say

"they pass in dual channel with memtest up to 210 haven't tried any higher. any suggestions?"

Well they obviously work if you can run memtest up to 210 in dual channel, so explain further please, like you can run memtest but you cant load windows?

Please elaborate.

exactrly I can run memtest so i know the ram is good. it almost seems to be a problem with windows. I tried further last night i can't even run 2 sticks at the same time even if they are in slot one and two for single channel. I'm completely and totaly stumped I'll do some more research today. I specifically get a can't find exporer exe you need to reinstall windows error with two sticks of ram. once I take out the second stick all is well.

yes each stick is good up to 220 almost identical i think one stick will do 223 @6-3-3-2 the other maxes at 220@6-3-3-2. its a really strange p[roblem. I'm using win me maybe xp will solve the issue?

I'm sorry if you mentioned this, are you trying to run 2*512 meg or 2*256 meg, if your trying to run 2*512 meg that is your problem. The win9x/me kernals do not support over 512 megs properly, in fact I ran into this problem at work yesterday, no matter what type of ram I would run or what motherboard I had chosen, no dice, win98se would not load with more then 768 ram, like 2X512 mem would not work. I could post fine, run memtest forever but 98se would not post.

Get rid of crappy ME and put on 2000 or xp. Your problems will go away.

If you have 2*256 memory, i'm really not sure what the problem is.

thank you actraiser. that is most definately my problem. i'll load xp pro on today. I figured it my be something like that. crappy microsoft. I'll report back. edit I'm running 2*512 so this appearsa to be my problem.

installed xp pro and 2*512 @ 205 fsb 4-3-3-2 timings perfect. thanks all for your help.

probably the strangest part of this entire ordeal I went through is that 2*512 worked fine on my asus board up to 185fsb I bought the abit because it had a better reputation wiht running high fsb's

Glad I could help, what is weird is like you say, you could run it with your Asus board no problem with 1 gig but not with the Abit board. I have seen these things where you luck out like that. The general consensous is do not run >512MB of ram with any 9x kernal but in some situations you can get away with it. I'm sure microsoft could issue a patch for this problem but it's probably too much work when they are only focused with new os's like XP/Longhorn etc.

btw, report back on how high you can run in dual channel on your board with Windows XP :)

about 210 @ 4-3-3-2 timings. 2.6 v dimm 1.7 vdd. for some reason the board will not go any higher than this synced. must need more vdd. volt modding maybe. I'm happy with it for now though. give me a wekk and I'll want more again.

Back