• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlowBurn

I have the Enermax 431W PSU. I haven't really had any problems with it, except one thing that has always bothered me. Whenever I turn the PSU on from its switch, everything in my computer turns on for a split second. All my fans spin and my speakers "pop". I had my cousin over my house tonight, and I was working in the case, and when I plugged the power cord back in and switch it on, he saw it. He said that's not good, and I should look to get the PSU replaced. Is he right, or is it ok that it does this? If he is right, can anyone suggest a good PSU to get? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

same thing happened to my Antec True Power 550...
but after a couple of weeks, it never happened anymore:confused:

everything was running fine before and after though

Mine does that if I leave the "State After Power Failure" option in BIOS set to Auto. When I set it to Off instead it stops doing the 2 second power up thing.

Somebody explained that in certain PSUs, the chip that controls everything is located on the low voltage side, but it needs power to do its job, so the high voltage side contains a "kick start" circuit that briefly lets it run without that chip.

Ahhh, ok... thanks for the replies guys. This guy had me kind of freaked out telling me that it's possible it could fry my MB

"Somebody explained that in certain PSUs, the chip that controls everything is located on the low voltage side, but it needs power to do its job, so the high voltage side contains a "kick start" circuit that briefly lets it run without that chip."
That's not how the Dell PSUs(the Britney Spears of PSUs(which have controllers on both the primary and secondary side)) are, and a CWT PSU I reverse-engineered(the one in my Pentium Pro that broke down after many years of service) simply has the secondary-side control chip powered by the same switcher that generates the 5vsb(which has a very clever discrete control circuit).
My Dell comp turns on for a split-second every time I plug it in.
I assume it's just the mobo's MCU(MicroController Unit) checking to see that the small connector(that contains the 12v,5v,3.3v sense lines, and an I2C control interface(that's how Dell systems are)) is connected.
And BTW, the kick-start circuit is nothing more than a high-powered resistor(a 33k,2w resistor in a Dell PSU) between the B+ and the controller's VCC(in PSUs with controllers on the primary side(PSUs with controllers on the secondary side simply have the secondary controller powered off the 5vsb)).

Back