• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H00T, question for U :-]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rottys-R-Us

Jester
I have theSwiftech mcw372 block and was wondering if I solder BB's or small pc's of copper in the dimp's if it would make a little more turbulance to do any good?
mcw372_copper_plate1.gif

TIA ;)

Personally, if i had a heck of alota time on my hands id drill tiny holes, and thread tiny rods into them, assuming the base is thick enuff to do that, 3mm would be enuff i think. But even that would not rly do a heck of alot :\

nah, that wouldnt be good, bbs arent made of copper, most of the time they have a copper coating on them though.

those dimples are there to create turblience themselves. I would just stuggest leaving it how it is.

I'd leave it as it is. Those dips are for turbulance and covering them would just put another interface that the heat has to go through to get to the water. I don't think solder will transmit heat well enough anyway, best to leave it bare copper.

If you feel compelled to monkey with the original design, before doing so, run it as it was shipped to establish a baseline. Write it down where you wont lose it. With this processor, at this speed, at this core voltage, running this stressing program, at this air or water temperature, I got ______________.

Then, when you start experimenting, whatever you choose to do, you will at least have a starting point to compare to. Don't solder anything unless you are going to use Silver Solder, like the kind HVAC professionals use for pressurized lines. Lead or Tin based solders, even those with a little silver in them are not as good at conducting heat as copper. If you use them to solder something in or on to the plate, you just added resistance to the flow of heat.

Experimenting can be fun and who knows, you might stumble onto something. When I did my pin based water block, I did not know whether it would be a good performer or not. I just had an idea and luckily, a block to work with. "Even a blind pig finds an occasional acorn."

Hoot

Hoot said:
Don't solder anything unless you are going to use Silver Solder, like the kind HVAC professionals use for pressurized lines. Lead or Tin based solders, even those with a little silver in them are not as good at conducting heat as copper. If you use them to solder something in or on to the plate, you just added resistance to the flow of heat.
Hoot

Yes it would have been silver solder, I have used it for brazing @ times when I was a machinest.

Thanks to all !!

you knwo those little vibratory things that engrave stuff with? like names? why not take one of that and increase the surface area a ton? only in the area with the dimples because the heat isnt gonna go much farther if any farther.

Jon

Back