• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good/Bad or indifferent?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

I got my CPU today, this is its batch code:

AXDA1700DLT3C 9399966280809
JIUHB 0310XPMW

From your experience people, is it going to cut the mustard when it comes to overclocking? or should I just send it back?

Definately keep it! These 1700+s are pretty much guaranteed to hit 2 ghz, at low voltages! I havent seen one yet that couldnt :)

When you overclocked your chip altec, did you burn it in, and if you did, could you describe how you did it please?

I just used Prime95 to test for stability as i went higher and higher. I didn't "burn in" with high voltages like some people do but i can tell you how.

With that chip you should set the vcore to 1.825 or 1.85...but no higher, and run Prime95 for an extended period of time. A lot of people swear that this will give you a little more headroom when it comes to your overclocks, but I'm a little skeptical...It can't hurt, but I am a little too impatient to wait for an initial burn-in. If you have the patience, try it!

Hmm, I think I will give it a go, as you said it cant hurt, I will try and get a day of burning in. Im very new to overclocking, so im just hoping it all goes well!

Last edited:
I don't really burn in. I just raise the Vcore one step at a time and test with Prime95 along the way.

When the clock frequency reaches a point that does not go higher while increasing Vcore a step, or very little compared to the beginning when Vcore was increased, it is telling it is close to the max.

E.g. my 1700 now running at 2.5+ GHz w/ 1.875V 50C loaded (there is a thread on that). At the beginning, it gives 150-200 MHz/25mV increase of Vcore. At the last 100 MHz, it gives only 10-20 MHz/25mV Vcore, i.e. at 1/10 of the rate. That means it is almost max out. Keep an eye on the die temp, at high Vcore, don't let temp runs away.

Back